English Landing-Mrs. Anderson
BATTLE OF THE BRAINS!
Looking to the Future
- We can inspire children to become the driving force behind tomorrow's science and technology
- We can increase the number of students interested in STEM education and careers
- WE can develop a pipeline of skilled STEM workers, fueling the region's economic development
Burns & McDonnell + Science City
How It Works
- Students create a proposal for an outdoor Science City exhibit focused on a single topic following the competition criteria and rubric
- 20 finalists are selected by a team of judges for public voting
- One entry becomes a Science City exhibit designed and built by a team of Burns McDonnell and Science City professionals AND the students
- Sign Up-September 11
- Upload Proposal and Videos-October 21
- Finalists announced-November 6
- Public Voting-November 7-14
- Awards Ceremony-November 18
The BIG IDEA
- Books Alive-Grade 3
- Brain Expedition-Grade 4
The Battle of the Brains process has been closely aligned to both English Language Arts (ELA) and Math Standards, as well as the Next Generation Science Standards.
THE EIGHT PRACTICES OF SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING:
- Asking question (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating and communicating information
Visit other museums (virtually) who have successful outside exhibits:
- Exploratorium-San Francisco, CA (http://www.exploratorium.edu/publicspaces)
- Pasadena Kidspace Museum (http://www.kidspacemuseum.org/exhibits/physics-forest)
- Nobel Energy Science Park-Israel
Welcome to Challenge Math Online
Challenge Math is designed to hone young students' mathematical problem-solving skills and logical reasoning skills.
Challenge Math gives out 10 challenging word problems weekly. Problems are non-routine problem-solving questions that are adapted to many math competitions, including the Noetic Learning Math Contest.
Challenge Math is primarily designed for gifted elementary students [Grades 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6]. Our unique program
- provides challenge beyond regular school curriculum,
- strengthens creative problem solving, and logical reasoning skills,
- further develops gifted students' intellect in math, and
- helps students excel in national math competitions.
Detailed step-by-step instructions and solutions are provided for all assignments.
Problem Solving Strategies Covered
Model with Diagrams | Draw a Picture | Make an Organized List | Find a Pattern | Logical Reasoning | Work Backwards | Guess and Check | Solve a Simpler Problem
Topics CoveredNumbers and Operations | Geometry and Measurement |Probability and Statistics |Data and Analysis | Algebraic Thinking
- Simply telling students to have a growth mindset can backfire. Students can have a negative reaction to being told how to think. Instead, a more scientific and practical explanation about how intelligence works-that the brain can get stronger and smarter with new learning- has been demonstrated to be effective.
- Reiterating the message "just try harder" can also be problematic. The reason is that most students have heard "just try harder," but a growth mindset isn't just about trying harder. Students need to understand why they should put in effort and how to deploy that effort.
These thoughts have been shared by KHANACADEMY PERTS
- "Growing you mind" by Khan Academy
- "Neuroplasiticity" by Sentis
- "Success Through Effort"-John Legend
- "You Can Learn Anything" by Khan Academy
- Angela Lee Duckworth-"Grit"
- Derek Sivers-"Why you Need to Fail to Succeed"
- Sesame Street, musician Janelle Monae sings about "The Power of Yet"
- Kizoom, Brain Jump with Ned the Neuron: Challenges Grow Your Brain
We will be using some of the above resources during our Affective time.
- Intelligence can be developed
- The brain is malleable
- Doing challenging work is the best way to make the brain stronger and smarter