Two Dimensional Advanced Art
A Discipline Based Art Education Program
Evening Advanced Art Classes for Grades 6th- 12th
The Hub on Canal
The Hub on Canal is located in the heart of the Arts District in NSB. Now 10 years old in 2022, The Hub is home to about 65 local and regional artists. Sixteen have working studios. We stand out from typical galleries by the nearly constant presence of artists creating in our space. Since the beginning we have embraced all the arts, so monthly live music, occasional theatre and regular cinematic exhibitions provide something for everyone. We deepen our connection with the community by offering a wide range of classes and workshops. The Hub has developed into a Canal Street destination. As of mid-2022 we've welcomed more than 350,000 visitors since we opened.
Disciplined-Based Art Education
Dates, Descriptions & Pricing
- October 10th, 17th, 24th - Classical Drawing & Twisted Techniques- Explore traditional & non-traditional drawing techniques of the Renaissance Masters & Surrealists alike.
- November- 7th, 14th, 21st - Classical Drawing, Light & Shadow. Master the chaotic chiaroscuro inspired by Caravaggio through fun drawing challenges.
- Nov/December- Nov 28th, 5th & 12th- Drawing & Dimension- Play with dimension like Artists Picasso, Mondrian and Braques with pastel & colored pencil techniques.
- January 16th, 23rd & 30th* Starting Date Adjusted- Painting & Dynamic Application- Go alla prima with your application of paint learning from Monet, Cezanne in acrylic and oil.
- February 6th, 13th & 20th- Painting & Dynamic Composition - Take a new perspective with light, shadow and color theory to make your paintings in acrylic and oil standout.
- March 6th, 13th & 27th- Printmaking & the Decorative Arts- From mono to multiples, explore block and gel plate printing techniques, drawing inspiration from Art Deco & more.
- April 3rd, 10th & 17th- Facial Features & Morphing Figures in Mixed Media- Use a variety of media to complete works of epic proportion using the Loomis method, graphic design & more to explore the human face/figure in creative ways.
- May 1st, May 8th, & 15th- Portfolio Project in Mixed Media- Pull out all the stops using techniques explored throughout the year to produce work that expresses your creative direction (with your portfolio in mind).
- *May 22nd - Dada “games’, food & fun mixer for students friends, parents and families. Explore your creative side as just like a Surrealist. Max. 12 students & friends/family for this event. *Free to all current/prior class members.
For the Student
- Dress for mess.
- All materials provided but you may wish to bring inspirational media & mediums from your own personal art collection to use on certain evenings.*18” x 24” or larger drawing board is a recommended purchase for this course. *We do have extra, smaller sized boards to loan during class at The Hub.