1st Ferris wheel June 21, 1893
- The height of the first Ferris wheel was 264 feet
- Supporting towers were 140 feet tall
- The axle - the largest piece of steel ever forged in the US - weighed 46 1/2 tons.
- Had two 1,000 horsepower steam engines and stopped by an over sized air brake.
- Cost $400,000 to construct
Can fit from 40 to 60 people per car
- Carried 36 cars
- The Wheel weighted 2,079,884 pounds
- It was blown to pieces after 13 years by 200 pounds of dynamite
Ferris Wheel at a Fair in Queenland, CA. 1915 By: Item is held by John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland. This images is used by the public domain by Creative Commons.