September 19, 2016
- Lifetouch Picture Day - Get Your Smile ON!! Picture Day is Tuesday, September 27th.
- 2 Hour Early Dismissal - Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - ACT 80 Day - High School dismisses at 12:17 pm
- Back to School Night - Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. - Back to School Night is an evening for our parents to learn about high school courses, to meet our faculty, and walk their son/daughter's schedule. We will be running a DAY A on Back to School Night. Back to School Night is meant for parents and guardians.
Click on this link to meet our School Counseling Team. They are working on student schedules and do an outstanding job of helping students navigate high school and beyond.
PTSA Meeting Monday, September 19, 2106
The PTSA (Parent-Teacher-Student-Association) is a private, non-profit organization of parents, teachers, students, and community members who strive to better the lives of the Pottsgrove High School Students. We are part of an association that is organized at the local, state, and national levels. By joining your local PTSA, you are automatically a member of the state and national associations. The PTSA is the largest child advocacy volunteer
organization which speaks for the interest of all children and their safety, health, welfare, and education. Why Join PTSA? When you join the Pottsgrove High School PTSA, you join a community that encourages student achievement and enriches the learning environment. We believe inbuilding partnerships between our families and our schools.
Meeting: Monday, September 19, 2016 7:30 p.m. in the HS Library
PTSA General Monthly Meeting Agenda
General Monthly Meeting Agenda
September 19, 2016
1. Call To Order
2. Welcome & Introduction of the new PTSA Board
A. Pete Robles – President
B. Dr. John A. Coniglario – Vice President
C. Jeananne Lockey – Treasurer
D. Kate Williams – Secretary
3. Secretary’s Report
Approval of the minutes for (no open minutes)
Approved _________ Approved with corrections______
4. Treasurer’s Report
A. Annual 2016-17 PTA Budget Review
5. Principal’s Report
6. President’s Reports
A. Goals for the Year
B. Committee Chairs for PTSA
C. PTSA Fall Gift Card Sales (fundraiser)
1. PTSA Students to sell $20 to $25 cards via pre-order forms.
2. Vendors are Paradise Donuts and Little Sicily Pizza.
3. Incentive reward for sales: Spotify, i-Tunes and Amazon cards.
D. The Great PGHS Outdoor Hoagie Festival (Proposed fundraiser)
1. Students to purchase a hoagie and sit around the school grounds.
2. Hoagie to be supplied by the School’s vendor.
E. PGHS Free Children's Holiday Workshop & Mini Talent Show
1. PTSA Student Representative led for workshop
2. Bus transportation?
3. Multiple Craft Fair stations
4. Free snacks provided
5. Elementary children Talent Show (Tiphany Williams)
7. Communication Report
8. Old Business
9. New Business:
A. Football game wrap-up 8/26 and 9/9
B. Football game preparations for 3nd game on 9/23
1. Supplies need to be replenished
2. Need for more volunteer as we were short for the 2nd game.
C. Parent-Teacher Dinner November 21, 2016
D. Review Committee Chairs listed below.
10. Committee Chairs Reports(*Liaison between PTSA & PGHS)
A. *Assembly/Activities/Community Engagement
(PTSA Student Representatives Multiple Openings)
B. *HS Awards (Executive Board )
C. Back to School Night (Open, Student Representatives)
D. *College and commitment signing Day (Open, Student Representatives)
E. Communications & Concession Stand Recruiter (Amy Marazas)
F. Concession Stand (Executive Board, Open)
G. Giant’s Rewards (Jeananne Lockey)
H. Graduation Ceremony/Refreshments (Open)
I. *Honor Roll Breakfast (2 Opening, PTSA Student Representatives)
J. PGHS Children's Holiday Workshop & Mini Talent Show (Open, PTSA Student Representatives)
K. PTSA News Letter/School Board Communications (1 Open, PTSA Student Representatives)
L. * Post Prom (Amy Marazas, Pete Robles, Open, PTSA Student Senior Representatives)
M. *Senior Picnic (PTSA Senior Parents)
N. PTSA Spirit Wear (John Coniglario, Dee Gallion)
O. PTSA Fall Gift Card Sales (Amy Marazas, Pete Robles, Open)
P. Parent-Teacher Conferences_ Staff Dinners (Open)
Q. *Teacher/Staff Communication (Mrs. Jill Bossler)
R. *The Great Outdoor Hoagie Festival (Open)
11. New Business Motions:
A. Approval of 2016-17 Budget
Motion_________ Seconded___________ Vote:___________
B. Amend Standing Rules to include new 2016-17 Special Committees Chairs
Motion_________ Seconded___________ Vote:___________
Motion_________ Seconded____________ Vote____________
Next Concession Stand - September 23rd. Please help us!
Back to School Night - September 28th from 7pm to 9pm. Please stop by our table!
Next general meeting is on October 17th at 7:30PM in the HS Library.
Student Perspective on Mental Health
See one of Sarah's videos below
Click here to learn about Athletic schedules, meetings, and other important information.
Past Champions Recognition for Football
Parent Information for Athletics
Pottsgrove School District
Department of Athletics
A Positive Approach
Both parenting and coaching are extremely difficult vocations. By establishing an understanding of each position, we are better able to accept the actions of the other and provide greater benefit to children. As parents, when your children become involved in Pottsgrove’s Athletic Program, you have a right to understand the expectations placed on your child. This begins with clear communication from the coach of your child’s team.
Communication You Should Expect From Your Child’s Coach
1. Philosophy of the coach
2. Expectations the coach has for your child as well as for the team
3. Locations and times of all practices and contests
4. Team requirements such as rules, paperwork, equipment and suggestions for off-season conditioning
5. Procedure should you child be injured during participation
6. Discipline that results in the denial of your child’s participation
Communication Coaches Expect From Parents
1. Concerns expressed DIRECTLY to the coach
2. Notification of any schedule conflicts well in advance
3. Specific concern about a coach’s philosophy and/or expectations
As your child becomes involved in Pottsgrove Athletics, they will experience some of the most rewarding moments of their lives. It is important to understand that there also may be times when things do not go the way you or your child wishes. At these times, discussion with the Coach is encouraged.
Appropriate Concerns To Discuss With Coaches
1. The treatment of your child, mentally and physically
2. Way to help your child improve
3. Concerns about your child’s behavior
It is very difficult to accept your child is not playing as much as you may hope. Pottsgrove Coaches are professionals, NOT professional Coaches. It is imperative parents and athletes trust that our coaches are tying to do the right thing for the team and all individuals involved. It is important to understand that the coaches are the ones with the team on a daily basis in practice and competition and therefore, will make judgment decisions based on what they feel is in the best interest of the team.
Issues Not Appropriate To Discuss With Coaches
1. Playing time
2. Team Strategy
3. Play calling
4. Other student-athletes
There are situations that may require a conference between the coach and the parent. These are encouraged. It is important that both parties involved have a clear understanding of the other position. When a conference is necessary, the following procedure help promote resolution to the issue of concern.
Procedure To Discuss A Concern With A Coach
1. Call the Coach to set up an appointment
2. If you cannot reach the coach, call the Athletic Director. He will set up the meeting for you
3. Please do not attempt to confront a coach either before or after a contest. These can be emotional times for both the parent and the coach. Meetings of this nature do not promote resolution.
Next Step For Parent When Meeting With The Coach Does Not Provide A Satisfactory Resolution
1. Call and set up an appointment with the Athletic Director to discuss the situation.
2. At this meeting, the appropriate next step can be determined
Research shows that athletic participation provides girls and boys with motivation for academic performance and physical activity, a structure to teach time management and self-discipline, and a means to develop self-esteem. Student-athletes benefit from a positive sports experience. The Pottsgrove Athletic Department provides this information for parents to foster understanding between you and your child’s coach, and to ensure an enjoyable season for your child.
Pottsgrove Football Schedule
Date Opponent Site Time
Sat, August 20 Perkiomen Valley (scr) Away 10:00 am
Fri, August 26 West Catholic HS Home 7:00 pm
(Military Honorary Capt Night)
Fri, September 2 Methacton Away 7:00 pm
Fri, September 9 Boyertown Home 7:00 pm
(Youth Appreciation Night)
Fri, September 16 Glen Mills Away 7:00 pm
Fri, September 23 Upper Merion Home 7:00 pm
(Past Champions Night)
Sat, October 1 Pottstown Away 2:30 pm
Fri, October 7 Upper Perkiomen Home 7:00 pm
Fri, October 14 Phoenixville Home 7:00 pm
(Senior Recognition Night/ Pink Out)
Sat, October 22 Pope John Paul Away 1:00 pm
Fri, October 28 Cross Over vs Liberty Div Home 7:00 pm
Western Center Schedule Below
Mark Your Calendars
9/19/16 - Monday - High School PTSA Meeting - High School Library - 7:30 pm
9/27/16 - Tuesday - School Picture Day by Lifetouch - School Board Meeting - District Office - 7:30 pm
9/28/16 - Wednesday - ACT 80 Day - High School dismisses at 12:17 pm
9/28/16 - Wednesday - High School Back-to-school Night - following an A day schedule - 7:00 pm
10/4/16 - Tuesday - School Board Meeting - Ringing Rocks Elementary - 7:30 pm
10/5/16 - Wednesday - Music League PTA Meeting - High School Library - 7:00 pm
10/7/16 - Friday - Homecoming Football Game - 7:00 pm
10/12/16 - Wednesday - High School Booster Club Meeting - High School Library - 7:00 pm
10/17/16 - Monday - High School PTSA Meeting - High School Library - 7:30 pm
10/20/16 - Thursday - ACT 80 Day - High School dismisses at 12:17 pm
10/21/16 - Friday - Staff Development - No School for students
10/25/16 - Tuesday - School Board Meeting - District Office - 7:30 pm
11/2/16 - Wednesday - Music League PTA Meeting - High School Library - 7:00 pm