News from Room 15
January 6-22, 2016
Welcome back! I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday season and had a relaxing break. We are ready to get back in the groove here at school. We will be starting off the new year with another one of my favorite units - winter and arctic animals. Some highlights will be making snow pictures, playing winter sports charades, searching for lost mittens, describing snowmen, penguins, and polar bears, and drawing ideas about winter. We will be starting a new math unit about patterns and designs and continuing with our letters of the week.
- I learned some great new tips for communication at Professional Development this week. Please look for a text or email invite to join our Remind group. Downloading the free Remind app will make communication even easier and grow our classroom community.
- If your child receives progress notes as part of an IEP, updates will be coming home this week. Please let me know if you have any questions after reviewing them.
- We do go outside for recess whenever weather permits (the cut off for outdoor recess is 15 degrees/wind chill). Please make sure your students have appropriate outdoor clothing. It is helpful to staff if items are marked with names. Thank you!
- If you requested online only newsletters, you will no longer be receiving paper copies in the folder this quarter. Please email me if you would like to change that option.
Have a great week!
~ Ms. Jackie, Mrs. Joyce, and Mrs. Ingle
Winter and Arctic Animals
Winter by Siam Smith
A Snowy Day by Melvin and Gilda Berger
Snowmen at Night by Carolyn Buehner
The Snowy Day by Jack Ezra Keats
The Jacket I Wear in the Snow by ShirleyNeitzel
The Mitten by Jan Brett
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr.
Penguins by Kate Riggs
Polar Bears by Kate Riggs
We will know the name and sound for the letters Jj, Dd, and Pp. (literacy)
We will be able to write the letters Jj, Dd, and Pp. (literacy)
We will be able to segment the sounds in a word. (literacy)
We will know parts of a book and concepts of print. (literacy)
We will be able to sequence an event. (literacy)
We will be able to sing the alphabet. (literacy)
We will be able to recognize and create simple patterns. (math)
We will be able to describe designs. (math)
We will know circle time expectations. (PBS)
We will understand how to keep our bodies safe. (PBS)
We will know activities, items, and clothing related to winter.
We will be able to compare penguins and polar bears.
Activities for Home
Talk about ways the weather changes and how the temperature affects weather. You can even do your own ice/water experiments at home.
Make up patterns to do at home. Example – jump, sit, jump, sit
Practice singing the alphabet.
- Wednesday, January 6th - Classes Resume
- Wednesday, January 6th - Parent Meeting for Child Center Presentations
- January 11th-15th - Duckling Days - wear duckling shirts or blue and yellow
- January 14th & 15th - Child Center Presentations Part 1
- January 18th - NO School - MLK, Jr Day
- January 21st & 22nd - Child Center Presentations Part 2
- February 1st-5th - Duckling Days - wear duckling shirts or blue and yellow
- Wednesday, February 10th - Valentine's Day Parties
- Friday, February 12th - NO School - Professional Development Day
- Monday, February 15th - NO School - President's Day
- Friday, February 19th - Duckling Dance sponsored by the Hackmann Action Team (more info to come)
January 8-10: Drew W.
January 22-24: Brayden S.
January 29-31: Spencer P.
Child Center Presentations
In January, we will be having lessons from The Child Center in our classrooms. The lessons focus on the rights of a child’s body. A letter/permission slip came home before break with more information. We do need a signed permission slip giving or denying permission for every student. Please return the permission slip as soon as possible. There is also a parent information meeting hosted by The Child Center to present more information about the lessons. This meeting will be at Hackmann on January 6th at 6:30. Parents are encouraged to attend. There are also parent meetings schedule at the two other Early Childhood locations in the district. If you need those dates and times, please let me know.