CSA Lincoln Newsletter
Friday, February 1st
Principal's Notes and Highlights
"Beary" Good Heroes
Fourth-grade students have been working on their "Beary" Good Heroes Project. During this project, students write letters for other children that are involved in an accident. Indiana State Police Officers keep little teddy bears in their patrol cars. Trooper Teddy, as they refer to him, is given to children at the scene of an accident or crime as a source of comfort. Our students are writing messages of encouragement and support that will be presented with the teddy bear. We will be giving teddy bears and the notes to the Indiana State Police at the conclusion of the project. Sgt. Stephen Wheeles will be coming next Thursday to meet with fourth-grade students. He was here last year and shared the following story with us after his visit.
It's funny how things work out...I just wanted to let you know that it was a good thing I had Trooper Teddy with me today to speak to your class. This afternoon, I responded to a crash where a young girl was injured. She hit her face, which knocked a few teeth out. She was upset and in pain. Her grandmother was being treated for serious injuries. Trooper Teddy decided he wanted to go with the small girl in the ambulance. So, I passed him on to her so he could comfort her while she goes through a stressful situation. She held onto him tight while the ambulance pulled away. ~Sgt. Wheeles
I have no doubt our students will rise to the occasion, and their messages will be a source of comfort for others. It was one year ago, today, that I asked them to do the same for their classmates.
We know that each child handles loss differently. I believe that you, the parent, know best how to address this with your child and because of that, we treated today as we would any other school day. I have been in touch with Savannah's family regarding our plan for today. As you can imagine, they are taking things one day at a time.
Savannah was an incredible young lady with a big smile and a huge heart. She would have loved the opportunity to write a message of support for another child. Knowing that our students, including one of Savannah's siblings, will be making a positive impact for others during their time of need is a great way to cherish her memory.
Updates and Highlights
- Congrats to the students who defeated the staff 38-37. Kaleb Hyer scored the winning bucket with less than 3 seconds to go!
- Pictures from our Cosplayers and Fandoms for our Book-Con Book Fair can be found at the link above. They had tons of fun with this and are excited about next week!
- Second-grade has been learning about the Titanic. Students participated in a third-class snack and a first-class tea party this week. I've included a few photos from the glamorous event.
- REMIND APP is still accessible for Verizon customers. Verizon changed their plans at the last minute and will continue to provide this service to their customers.
Titanic First Class Passenger Tea Party
Important Upcoming Dates
Please mark these dates on your calendar!
- Feb 4th-7th Book-CON Book Fair
- Feb 4th-7th Parent-Teacher Conferences (Teachers will be in touch with you.)
- Feb 5th- Northside Middle School Open House (6th Grade) 5:30-8:00 pm
- Feb 6th- 6th Grade Band Sign-ups 6:30 pm @ Lincoln Gym
- Feb 11th- School Board Meeting at CSA Lincoln 6 pm
- Feb 15th- 5th/6th Grade Dance 6:30-8:00 pm
- Feb 21st- Math Bowl Competition 5:30 pm @ Southside
- Feb 21st- PTO Meeting 6-7 pm
- Mar 7th- PTO Meeting 6-7 pm
- Mar 11-13th School will be in session (Snow Day Make-ups)
- Mar 26-28th iRead Testing (3rd Grade)
- April 30-May 2, May 7-10th- ILEARN Testing (3rd-6th Grade)
- May 15th- Indianapolis Indians Game-CSA Reading Challenge- Home Run Hitters
- May 16-17th- Chicago Trip (6th Grade)
- May 23-24th- CYC Camp Trip (5th Grade)
- May 29th- Move Up Day
- May 29th- 6th Grade Graduation-10:30-11:30 am
- May 30th- Last Student Day (Donner Park Field Day)
Who is that person working car line? The suggestion came up at a CIC meeting to share information about our staff so you can put a name with a face.
Mrs. Karen Biehle teaches second-grade at CSA Lincoln. This is her third year at our school and previously taught fourth-grade before joining the primary team at the start of the 2018-2019 school year. She has two daughters, one of which is in first-grade, at CSA Lincoln. She works the afternoon car line duty.
BCSC Pre-K is now accepting applications for the 2019-2020 school year. Applications are available at all elementary schools and online at www.bcsc.k12.in.us under the 2019-2020 Pre-K Applications heading. Please call us at 812-376-4569 for more information about BCSC Pre-K.
Remind and Verizon
- Remind.com App- Verizon is charging Remind for the distribution of text services. The fee will not apply to parents, students, or me as a sender, but because of the charges, Remind will no longer send text messages to stakeholders using Verizon as of January 28th. As you know, one of the methods I send the newsletter out is via Remind. If you use it on your phone, you will need to download the Remind app or set up notifications through email. I will continue to share the newsletter through Remind, email, on our website, and on the social media accounts listed at the bottom of the newsletter.
CSA Lincoln on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter
Facebook: CSA Lincoln Community
Click here for directions on how to receive text message updates from Mr. Findley