4th Grade Gazette
Weekly Newsletter • May 9-13, 2016
What's New This Week
4th Graders Enjoy Trip to Jamestown Settlement & Yorktown Victory Center
The long-awaited field trip to Jamestown Settlement & Yorktown Victory Center occurred on Thursday this week. Students, teachers, and chaperones explored the Susan Constant ship, the Jamestown Settlement village, a Native American village, practiced bayonet marching as Revolutionary War soldiers, and toured a war encampment.
Fortunately, the rain held off, and Pennington groups were able to enjoy lunch outside before visiting the Jamestown Gift Shop for souvenirs. While a long day, most of the students had a great time and, hopefully, learned a lot that will help them on their upcoming Virginia Studies SOL.
Next Week in Review
Sign-Up for SOL Donations
Upcoming Important Dates & Events
- Wednesday, May 11th - 4th Grade Reading SOL (Part 1) at 12:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 12th - 4th Grade Reading SOL (Part 2) at 9:30 a.m.
- Friday, May 13th - SOL Pep Rally
- Monday, May 16th - PTO Board Meeting at 6:00 p.m.; General Meeting at 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 18th - Fosters Spirit Night
- Friday, May 20th - Virginia Studies SOL at 12:30 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21st - PTO Spring Festival 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Monday, May 23rd - Advisory Council Meeting
- Tuesday, May 24th - Math SOL (Part 1) at 9:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 25th - Math SOL (Part 2) at 9:30 a.m.
- Friday, May 7th - Interims Sent Home
- Monday, May 30th - Memorial Day (No School!)
- Tuesday, May 31st - May AR Quizzes Deadline
- Tuesday, May 31st - ALL COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS DUE
Parent Volunteer Opportunities
Still Need Donations for 4th Grade Spring Fling Baskets
It's time for Pennington's annual Spring Fling fundraiser. The theme for each 4th grade class is listed below, along with suggested items for donation.
Ms. Pierce: "Wrap It Up" - assorted wrapping paper for all occasions, tape, assorted greeting cards, pens, ribbon, bows, scissors, “forever” stamps, address pad, lap board, assorted gift bags, etc.
Dr. Idio: "Curl Up with a Good Book" - New books titles for kids and adults (NY Times Best Seller List is great for popular titles), reading lamp, bookmarks, gift cards to local book stores, puzzle books, reading glasses, journal with pen, lap desk, etc.
Mrs. Anderson: "Happy Trails To You!" - flashlight and extra batteries, trail mix, water bottle, jerky, first aid kit, compass, pedometer, bandanna, insect repellent, energy bars, sun screen, citronella candles, hiking socks, outdoor magazines, mini guides to trees and birds, transistor radio, small camping stove, garbage bags, hand sanitizer, marshmallows, graham crackers, Hershey Bars, etc.
Baskets should be turned in by Thursday, May 19th. Spring Festival to be held on Saturday, May 21, 2016