Room 212 News #16
January 3, 2016
Happy New Year!
The Scrap Box visiting Tuesday
Upcoming Field Trips
On February 24, our class is visiting Kensington Metropark. This is the environmental education trip that all first grade classes in the district attend. We will need chaperones for this field trip. The trip is from 9:30-2:30 and we spend most of the day outside. This field trip is typically only canceled if temperature or wind chill is below zero.
Please have your child practice the highlighted portions over the next few weeks.
NWEA winter testing
Introducing the "Sharing Bag"
Students will come home about once every two-three weeks with a "sharing bag" in their backpack. S/he should select something to share with the class the following day.
- The item should not be of great sentimental or monetary value.
- The item should not be electronic.
- The item should not be related to violence (toy gun).
- Students can bring in a piece of art, writing, or a book.
- Students can teach the class something instead of bringing an object. For example, a joke, a word in another language, a movement, or physical skill. In this case, just put a note in the bag so I can help the student remember what h/she wanted to share.
- Students can bring in 3 clues and allow the class to guess the object.
The student with the sharing bag will have a few minutes to tell about the object. The class will ask 3 questions using Who, What, Where, When, Why.
The bag in your child's backpack serves as the reminder that his/her turn has arrived. This is a great way to encourage the practice of having your student empty the backpack each night - looking for papers, folders, wet gloves, old snacks...and the sharing bag.
We look forward to learning more about our classmates through the "sharing bag!"
Dates to Remember:
- 1/5 NWEA winter testing begins
- 1/15 9:20am MLK assembly at Bryant
- 1/18 No School for MLK day