Week of October 26
How To Get Work When Students Are Absent
This is just a reminder that when a student is absent for one day or multiple days, one way to stay current on assignments is to check Google Classroom and email teachers with questions. Each high school teacher has a Google Classroom where they post assignments for this specific purpose. Please make sure to join Google Classroom for each teacher. If you do not have access to the Internet or a computer, hard copy assignments may be sent home. However, using Google Classroom is the preferred method of communicating assignments when students are absent from school. In addition, the high school office will arrange pick up of books or other essential items from student lockers. Thank you and please contact the high school office at 485.1023 if you have any questions.
Remote Learning Reminders
If we have to move to distance learning there are a few things I would like to remind our students, parents, and guardians.
1. Attendance at scheduled Zoom/Google Meetings is required. If students are unable to attend they must reach out to their teachers that day to see what they missed, along with an explanation why they were absent. Students who do not reach out or do not have a legitimate excuse will be marked absent for that hour.
2. Please review the schedule outlined in the distance learning plan. If we move to distance learning we will follow the schedule on day one.
3. All assigned work during distance learning is required and due dates will be adhered to. Teaching and learning will not look like what we experienced last spring and will not be optional.
4. We will not look to recreate a normal school day during distance learning. Teachers will focus on reinforcing what the students have already learned and provide some new learning in the event of shutdown.
5. Student who are doing POA or hard copy correspondence will continue to operate as normal. For those students who do not have reliable internet, please reach out to your teachers to make arrangements on how to receive your work.
If we have to shift to distance learning, it will most likely be short notice. This information is not meant to cause panic, it is merely in preparation for the possibility of moving to distance learning.
Please refer to the distance learning plan below for more information. Please reach out to the high school office at 906.485.1023 if you have questions. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we can continue face-to-face learning, which is what we do best!
Westood High School Distance Learning Plan
Voices In Motion Gives a Small Concert Outside of WHS
Reminder of our PSAT testing schedule for this month:
10th and 11th grade: PSAT/NMSQT on Thursday, October 29th
9th grade: Digital PSAT 8/9 on Thursday, October 29th
Seniors will not have to report to school on October 29th
We would like our full-time POA and hard-copy students to attend school on the day of their test. Seniors will be done around 1:00pm on the 14th and 9th-11th graders will be done around noon on the 29th.