JAN. 18, 2013 (VOL. 4)
SCHOOL WALK THROUGH
- Active learning and level of engagement was very high throughout the school
- Students getting academic support from the environment - e.g. GLAD posters
- Evidence of collaboration by grade level teams
- Using Technology in meaningful ways - Edmodo, iMovie, Fluency Practice, and other collaborative projects that support learning
- Great small group instruction in all grade levels
- Lots of examples of students doing writing
- Academic discourse amongst students
- Rigor demonstrated during seat work in many classrooms
- Clear objectives posted and understood by students in many classrooms
Keep up all of the wonderful teaching. It's is extremely gratifying to see the high levels of learning and engagement that is going on everyday and Solana Highlands!
- Thank you Susanna, the Student Council, and all of you who have helped make our inaugural Kindness Challenge a huge success! Class posters look amazing too!
- Thank you to all of the teachers who attended the evening Dinah Brown Training: Tarri, Debra, Johanna, Donna, Lisa Sturt, Ashlee, Jessica, Kimberly H., Julie, Tracy, Katy, Christine, Lisa Salley, Heidi, and Debbie. Our students are benefitting from this great shift in practice.
- Not only do we have the most committed staff, we also have the most fit. Way to go Judy, Debbie K., Hollis, Felicity, Lisa, S. Tracy, Sherry, and Emily for doing the exercise class after school!
- Thank you Katie and Lauren for helping with the 3rd and 4th grade Family Science Night
- Dr. Lynch for doing a well-attended parent workshop at Solana Pacific on Bullying Prevention.
- Baby Shower - Congratulations to Ashlee, Karen, and Ryan! Thanks to all who brought in goodies and to all who made the lounge look cute!
- To all of our wonderful aides who continue to do amazing work with our students: Marcy, Mary, Paula, Marla, Jenelle, Amir, Linda T., Tamara, Linda B. The support that you give to our students is invaluable!
- Lisa Sturt for helping take a class full of kindergartners (40 students!) on Monday afternoon.
EDUCATION CORNER - "Replacing Round-Robin Reading with Better Practices"
This summary of an article written by Katherine Hilden and Jennifer Jones, discusses that there are better ways for students to practice their reading than by having students take turns one at a time. As we have learned from our training from the Essential Elements of Instruction and Dr. Fisher, we want to maximize student participation; even in small guided reading groups.http://www.schoolleadership20.com/forum/topics/replacing-round-robin-reading-with-better-practices
A STRATEGY TO CREATE MORE HAPPINESS - A GREAT TIP FROM DR. LYNCH
One way to create more happiness is to write down three gratitude's every day. "Yes, 3...and yes every day...this is one way to train your brain to notice and seek out things that you appreciate."