Miss L's Kindergarten Newsletter
Week of October 17th
"Remind" is a great way for teachers to send a text message directly to your smart or cell phones. This is an app that lets me send short reminders for upcoming events, important information, or things that are due. Use this link to sign up!
What We Are Learning!
Reading & Science- The students have been having so much fun reading "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a ______" books. We will continue to read Lucille Colandoros series of books throughout the week. These books help students identify rhyming words, rhythm in a text, and sequencing events in a story. In Science, we will be investigating leaves throughout the week. Now that the leaves are starting to change, if you find any leaves with interesting shapes and/or colors, please send them to school to share in a ziplock bag. We will use them during investigations at the end of the week.
Writing- Students will continue working on personal narratives. I will be collecting their work to see how their work progresses over a period of time. When we are finished with the unit, I will send it home in a big book.
Math- Counting- At the beginning of the year we did a quick introduction to the numbers 1-20. The students have made so much progress identifying, counting, and recalling the numbers up to 10. Next week we will be focusing on numbers 11-20. Please help your child by asking them to start counting larger numbers or reading teen numbers.
- Snacks- Due to snacks disappearing, we will no longer be storing large quantities of snacks in the classroom anymore. Students will be responsible for getting out only their snack for the day out of their backpack. Sorry for any inconvenience.
- Library- A few students forgot to return their library books on Wednesday. If your child ever forgets to bring back their library book on Wednesday and receives a note from the librarian home in their backpack, they may bring it in on Thursday or Friday and check out a new book. They do not have to wait until the following week to get a new book!
- Folders- Many students are starting to misplace their folders or behavior calendars in their folders. It is really important that your child learns the responsibility of keeping track of their folders and sharing their folders with you every night. Students at Belair from Kindergarten all of the way to 5th grade are expected to keep track of their folder and discuss their work, behavior calendar, and other important notes sent by the teacher every night. Please help your child learn this responsibility by asking them for their folder and helping remind them to place it in their backpacks when finished.
- Fall Party-I will be sending out notes next week regarding our Fall Party on Halloween. Those of you that volunteered to send treats/materials or to help run the party, I will let you know what specifically I need your help with. Keep an eye out for those in your child's backpack.
- Cold Weather- The weather is starting to get colder. You may want to start sending your child in jeans with a jacket or sweater to put on when we go outside for recess.
Calendar of Events
October 15 - Fall Festival, 3:00-6:00
October 17 - Pizza Hut Give Back Night, 4:00-8:00
October 18 - End of 1st Quarter
October 20 - Parent-Teacher Conferences, 4:00-8:00
October 24 - Parent Teacher Conferences, 4:00-8:00
October 28 - Staff Compensation Day (NO SCHOOL)
October 31 - Awards Assembly (9:15) and Fall Party (2:45)