Family Newsletter-September 28, 2020
We have completed the first two weeks of school! You and your children should be proud of all of the hard work you have put in to getting up and running. I have loved popping into the classroom Google Meet sessions and seeing happy faces and eager learners. You are persevering through technological challenges, learning new information and trying your best at everything. We appreciate the collaboration between home and school for our students. We are here for you, so if you have any needs please reach out to your classroom teacher, main office, or me and we will support you in getting your needs met. Thank you for your patience, flexibility and partnership in this learning process.
Mrs. Gina McLain
Important Dates to Remember
- Thurs., Oct. 1st--College Wear Day!--wear any college gear you might have; shirts, sweatshirts, hats, etc. We have done this on the first Thursday of each month for the past several years. Let's keep it going!
- Fri., Oct. 2nd--Lenox Spirit Day!--show your Lenox pride by wearing red, white & black, Lenox gear, or past Color Me Fun Run shirts.
- Thurs., Oct. 8th: No School--Staff Development & Work Day
- Fri., Oct. 9th: No School--Licensed Staff Non-Contract Day
- Week of Oct. 12th: Virtual Back to School Nights!--more information below
- Mon., Oct. 12th: Virtual Booster Club Mtg. 7:00-8:30
- Mid October: District reviews health metrics and considers a timeline for moving to Hybrid Learning and will notify students and families.
- Thurs., Nov. 5th: End of 1st Quarter
- Fri., Nov. 6th: No School--Teacher Work Day and Family Conferences Prep
View the HSD 2020-21 Calendar HERE
What Do I Need To Know?
- Attendance--If you know your student is going to be absent, please still call our attendance line to report the absence. Our attendance line is 503.844.1363. Please also continue to closely communicate with your child's teacher regarding their attendance and any issues that arise for your student.
- Technology--We have distributed Chromebooks to those students who were on our list. We are still waiting to receive hotspots and will get those distributed when we receive them this week. Thank you for your patience. If at any point in the school year you need tech devices, please notify our main office at 503-844-1360 and we will try to get what you need.
- Picture Day for all HSD schools has been rescheduled for Spring 2021 in the hopes that we will be able to create a safe environment for our students to participate in the annual picture taking process.
- Free Meals for ALL Students--click here for information to make sure you get meals for your child.
- Two Requests--1. Please make sure to check your mailboxes regularly. We are seeing an increase in returned mail to families we know we have the correct address for. The return label says, “Vacant” which means the mailbox is full. 2. Please check your voicemail because we often get messages when calling saying the voicemail box is full or the voicemail has not been set up. Thank you for helping support our communication with you.
Virtual Back To School Nights--Save the date(s)!
Monday, Oct. 12th--Kindergarten 5:00-7:00pm
Tuesday, Oct. 13th--1st & 2nd grades 5:00-7:00pm
Wednesday, Oct. 14th--3rd & 4th grades 5:00-7:00pm
Thursday, Oct. 15th--5th & 6th grades 5:00-7:00pm
We have split the grade levels up into different days of the week to accommodate families who have multiple students in different grade levels. Each grade level will offer two identical sessions during the two hour block in order to serve family's schedules as best as possible. Our ERC and EL Specialists, and our Counselor will also be available during our Virtual Back to School Week. More details on specific session times and Google Meet invites will come out next week.
SERVICES OFFERED FOR TALENTED AND GIFTED (TAG) STUDENTS
Parents are welcome to refer their child for services designed for students identified as talented and gifted. Students who score at or above the 97th percentile on a nationally standardized, norm-referenced test of overall reading or math or on a mental abilities test, and have other confirming evidence that they learn at a rapid rate and advanced level, are identified as TAG students. With parent input, individual plans are made to adjust the rate and level of the student’s instruction to meet his or her specific needs.
If you think your child may qualify for TAG services, and want information about the referral and identification process, please contact Kim Laws, Lenox's TAG Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Tech & Digital Tools Support
Lenox Booster Club
Make sure to sign up for an account on the website to receive all Booster related information.