Our Lady of the Cape Primary School
Newsletter - Thursday 5 November 2020
Fri 6 Nov - Prayer Assembly 2M (students only)
Sun 8 Nov - 1st Eucharist - OLOTSC
Mon 9 Nov - Wheels after Meals
Wed 11 Nov - Remembrance Assembly 5J
Fri 13 Nov - Prayer Assembly 1/2K
- Y5/6 Cricket Blast Carnival Busselton
Mon 16 Nov - Y5 Excursion
Wed 18 Nov - Road Safety Week - Day: Ride/walk to school in Yellow
Thur 19 Nov - Scitech Incursion
Fri 20 Nov - Disco 5pm
Term 4 finishes Fri 11th December
Term 1 2021 commences Mon 1st Feb
First Holy Communion
Good luck to all our Year 4 First Holy Communion candidates and their prayer buddies when they receive the Sacrament for the first time this Sunday. Thank you to Mrs Delane, Mrs Meyer and Mr Danaher for all their work in preparing the students for the Sacrament.
COVID-19 Effects at OLC
Fortunately for our community our students have not missed out on a too many activities during COVID-19. The Year 5 and 6 students have all attended camp to Forrest Edge in Waroona, have received their Sacraments, participated in swimming sports, athletics sports, interschool sports, receive their weekly merit awards and Year 6’s get to perform in their musical, will have their graduation Mass and after celebrations, although not the same as other years due to social distancing regulations indoors. Our children have also been able to participate in weekend sport in contrast to a number of other states. We have so much to be grateful for living in this beautiful location in Western Australia.
The year 6 class are performing the musical, “It’s a Jungle out There” in the school hall on Friday 27 November commencing at 7pm. Tickets are $5 per person. Limited tickets due to COVID restrictions available online now via trybooking.com. The students at school will see the musical on Tuesday afternoon matinee.
2021 Head Boy and Head Girl
The students who are passionate about becoming head boy and head girl for the 2021 school year have the opportunity to present their speeches to the year 4-6 classes and staff on Tuesday December 1. Good luck to all contenders.
Wheels After Meals
Our final “Wheels after Meals” will be held at lunchtime next Monday 9 November. Students from years 1-6 are welcome to bring in their scooters, skateboards, rollerblades and roll around the top carpark after eating their lunch.
- Our numbers are steadily increasing so we will have all straight classes at OLC next year, no composite classes.
- Our Gifted and Talented classes will recommence next year at OLC.
- Our students will all participate in two terms of dance and two terms of music next year.
- At least seven teachers will be changing their roles at OLC next year, that makes thirteen changes in the last two years.
- Our library is being transformed into a learning space. We are going to have 40 lucky students and two teachers in there next year.
- Our new dance teacher and music teacher will use the hall for two days each next year.
Year 6 Sports Teachers In Action
Congratulations to our leaders - you are doing an excellent job!
Did You Know
- Enzo (1) was writing a story about flying his rocket ship to Mars last Friday morning at 11.17am.
- There is a racehorse named Mrs. Murphy. Mrs. Murphy ran in the second race at Flemington last Saturday, her starting price was 201-1. (The editor thinks that our Mrs. Murphy maybe able to run faster than the horse).
- “Soot” is a great way to spell suit and “sked”is a great week to spell scared when you are in year one.
- There are 29 billionaires in Australia. Unfortunately, Mrs Delane said she is close but not there just yet, maybe after next week’s pay.
- Payton (PPB) likes to eat broccolini and watch Bubble Gubbies when she is at home.
- There are approximately 130 surf breaks between Cape Naturaliste and Cape Leeuwin.
- Mrs. Sweeney is a Richmond Supporter.
- Someone/a grandad who would be able to make some small wooden appliances for the kindy class, please let Mr Lee know.
- Amelia S (K) likes to do painting and eat “psgetti” when she is at home.
- Logan C (K) likes to go to his beach. It is just down that road there, turn this way and it is just over there.
- Chloe Robinson and Emma Rechichi (4) were outstanding delivery people last Friday. They skillfully delivered tiny gifts to the staff for World Teacher’s Day last Friday.
- Jasper Edwards (5) plays in high level golf tournaments.
- Eddie (1) has a new baby at home. Sometimes the baby cries but Eddie just sleeps through it all.
- Indy, Emme, Ginger and Georgia were being squirted by Mrs Jackson last Friday. (However, it was 31 degrees and I have never heard louder laughing and screaming).
- There will be no composite classes at OLC in 2021, we will be a full double-stream school.
- Two classes will perform dances at our end of year concert.
- Eva Davies (1) was having one of the best days of her life last Friday. She had finished all her work and was having a sleepover at Georgia’s house.
At the moment some of our new teachers for next year are unable to find a place to rent in the local area. Please let us know if you are able to assist them find accommodation.
Road Safety Week - Day (In Conjunction with City of Busselton)
On Wednesday 18th, we encourage students ride/walk to school wearing something yellow.
Ribbon, hair band, Meelup faction top….
City of Busselton will provide fruit on arrival at school.
YEAR 4 FIRST EUCHARIST/ FIRST HOLY COMMUNION
The word 'communion' means to be united with; Catholics believe that in Holy Communion we are united in a special way with Jesus Christ.
At his last supper, Jesus said of the bread that he shared among his followers, "Take and eat, this is my body." When we receive Holy Communion, Catholics believe that in a mysterious way we are sharing in the body and blood of Christ.
Holy Communion and the whole celebration is also known as Eucharist, from a Greek word meaning thanksgiving.
Our Year Four students are making their final preparations for the reception of their First Eucharist this Sunday the 8th of November at 10.00am at the church. This week the year 4 students have had Reconciliation with Fr. Francis, been to the church for a practice and will be participating in Adoration for the first time tomorrow. They are very excited to make their First Eucharist on Sunday. Please keep them in your prayers at this time.
A MESSAGE FROM FR. FRANCIS
Last week the Pope’s latest letter to the world, titled “Fratelli Tutti’ was released, which is basically talks about how we as a Catholic family need to care for everyone and for the Mother Earth. One way we can do this is through the new recycling program running in Dunsborough. Please read the flyer as to how you might help our parish through this regimen.
Mrs Amie Meyer
OLC RE Coordinator.
Believe Youth & Community Program
NEWS FROM THE P&F
P&F Class Fundraisers
WOW - we are almost there!!! We have reached 90% of our fundraising target for the year. Thank you to the class reps and all the families in the school for your amazing support.
Keep an eye out for this term’s fundraisers
- Skateboard Deck Art Workshop (1/2K) 23 November (pupil free day)
- Cheese Louise Platters (PPL)
- Calendar Art (3MU)
- Wine Fundraiser
School Disco – Friday 20 November
Back by popular demand! The school disco will be returning this year on the 20th November. Save the Date – more details to follow.
P&F Fundraiser for Year 3MU. (Order from next week)
Personalised Artwork Calendars, Cards, Diaries, Mouse Mats & Sketch Pads – A School Fundraiser
Your child’s art can be made into affordable Calendars, Cards, Diaries, Mouse Mats and Sketch Pads. These make unique Christmas gifts for family and friends and are perfect for posting overseas.
Students were given an online order form yesterday with their unique code and instructions on how to order products featuring their artwork online.
Please wait until next week before logging in as the artwork is still being processed by the organiser. If you log in and there is no artwork for your child, they were absent when artworks were created and they were unfortunately unable to submit an artwork.
SCHOLASTIC BOOK CLUB
GET YOUR XMAS BOOKCLUB ORDERS IN BY FRIDAY 20th NOVEMBER
BOOK CLUB ISSUE 8 NOW OPEN FOR ORDERS THROUGH LOOP ONLY
ORDERS MUST BE PLACED ON ONLINE THROUGH LOOP BY 8PM FRIDAY 20th NOV 2020
It is easy to order. The Book Club LOOP platform for parents allows you to pay by credit card. Your child’s order is submitted directly to school safe and sound and the books will be delivered to class. You can place your child’s order at scholastic.com.au/LOOP or using the LOOP app, which can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play. Books will be distributed to children is classrooms but there is also a ”this book is a gift” option to choose when ordering, which will ensure the order is kept discreet and an office collection can be arranged. There is also a home delivery option for an extra fee.
Registration is super easy but if you run into any trouble please contact Scholastic Customer Service Team who will be happy to assist
Scholastic Australia Pty Ltd | 1800 021 233 | 02 4328 3555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Catalogues will be sent to the school but ordering has changed to online LOOP orders only. No cash orders will be accepted
Any questions feel free to contact me
Your Book Club Organiser
Chelsea Davies – email@example.com
This summer WAAPA is thrilled to be able to offer an exciting school holiday program at our campus in Mount Lawley. There are classes for students from Year 1 to Year 12 in drama, acting, screen performance, film making, music theatre and of course Shakespeare. For information about the many courses on offer please visit waapa.ecu.edu.au/summer-school or contact Gabrielle Metcalf at firstname.lastname@example.org or 9370 6775.
Enrolments are now open for VacSwim swimming lessons during the summer school holidays.
VacSwim in January offers fun lessons at beach or pool locations during the long break. Not only are they a great school holiday activity, they teach valuable safety skills to help keep your child safe in the water.
Your children can start as young as five years old.
Don’t wait! Enrol your children in VacSwim now at education.wa.edu.au/vacswim