By: Kalie Moore
What Are Some Manic Signs And Symptoms?
* racing speech and thoughts
* increased energy
* decreased need for sleep
* elevated mood and exaggerated optimism
*increased physical/emotional activity
* excessive irritability, aggressive behavior,and impatience
*inflated sense of self importance
What Are Some Depression Signs And Symptoms?
*prolonged sad or irritable mood
* loss of energy or fatigue
*feelings of guilt and worthlessness
* sleeping too much or inability to sleep
*drop in grades and inability to concentrate
*inability to experience pleasure
*appetite loss or overeating
*anger, worry, and anxiety
*thoughts of death and suicide
How Does It Affect Someone?
-Affects both men and women
-In rare cases children can also be diagnosed with bipolar disorder
-First symptoms of bipolar disorder are shown in a person's early twenties
-The way people think, act, and feel are all affected
-With children it affects their mood, such as rapid mood changes and can also occur in high levels of anxiety
What Are Other Names For Bipolar Disorder?
- Manic depression
-Manic depressive disorder
-Manic depressive illness
-Bipolar mood disorder
-Bipolar affective disorder
How Is It Diagnosed?
- A psychiatrist or phycologist must diagnose you with bipolar disorder
- Many people are not diagnosed properly
- When dealing with a child with bipolar disorder, a health professional will observe symptoms, before diagnosing them
How Is It Treated?
There is no cure for bipolar disorder but treatment can be very helpful
-People diagnosed with bipolar disorder should work with a doctor or medical professionals to come up with a treatment plan
-medication can be prescribed to stabilize a person's mood
Some Interesting Facts
- 17.4 million adults have depressive disorder each year
- There are four types of bipolar disorder: