February 19th-February 23rd
Monday, February 26th
- Teacher Appreciation Week begins! Donate k-cup pods for teacher’s lounge all week.
- Board of Education Meeting, MEC, 7pm
Tuesday, February 27th
- Teacher Appreciation Week--Flower Day! Each child brings 3 flowers for teacher/staff bouquets.
Wednesday, February 28th
- Teacher Appreciation Week--please return the apple note cards!
- Harper Open House, 6:30-7:30pm
Friday, March 2nd
- Teacher Appreciation Week--Teachers will receive a special gift from students.
Wednesday, March 7th
- Choral Fest, Regina Dominican High School, 7pm
- Cyber Safety Presentation, Central Auditorium, 7pm
Wednesday, March 21st
- Cyber Safety Presentation, Harper Auditorium, 9 am
- No School- Spring Break
Dr. Kick's Corner
- Valentine's Day was an extra special day for students! Thank you to everyone that volunteered to assist with the classroom parties. Also, thank you for being so creative with the games played and non-food Valentine gifts.
- Open House is on Wednesday, February 28th at 6:30! Students are very excited to show their parents work they have completed in the classroom and art room, as well as showing you around the building. Please don't forget to check the lost and found!
Cyber Safety Presentations
For the first time, our D39 Elementary schools are joining together to give you an opportunity to gain insight on keeping your child safe online. We are all facing challenges as we raise our children in an age where the social rules of technology are changing almost daily. Please join us for a presentation that is specific to navigating our younger children through the world online.
We are offering both a daytime and an evening meeting for your convenience!
Wednesday, March 7th at 7pm in the Central Elementary School Auditorium
Wednesday, March 21st at 9am in the Harper Elementary School Auditorium
These General PTA/PTO Meetings are open to any D39 parent with kids in grades K-4.
Our presenter is Tony DeMonte, Director of Technology and Media Services for District 39.
Topics to be discussed are:
• Creating boundaries with mobile devices
• Potentially dangerous apps
• Social media
• Inappropriate content
There will be an opportunity to ask questions at the end. We are delighted to offer this open meeting with Tony,TWICE! So carpool over with some friends for an evening at Central School or a morning at Harper and let’s get this conversation started.
- The D39 Educational Foundation invites you to attend the Science Olympiad Open House on February 24th from 9-10am in the WJHS cafeteria. Students and instructors will showcase their learnings and creations from classes like Anatomy, Bottle Rockets, Potions and Poisons, Towers and more. Science Lovers of all ages are welcome, and refreshments will be served!
- Teacher Appreciation Week is February 26-March 2! Please volunteer to help through your room parent. Look for an paper apple in your child's folder on Tuesday, February 20th. Have your child write what they love the most about their teacher and return it by Wednesday, February 28th to the designated parent volunteer in your classroom via their child, the parent volunteer's home or the teacher appreciation folder in the front lobby (be sure to label it with the teachers name). We will be putting the apples in a special gift for our teachers. Tuesday, February 27th is Flower Day-each child bring three flowers for teacher/staff bouquets. All week long you can donate pods for the k-cup in the teacher's lounge.
- Girls on the Run Registration is OPEN! Click here to register by Feb. 26. The program starts in mid-March and ends with a 5K in Grant Park on Saturday, May 19. Questions? Contact Ali Wenzke at email@example.com.
- BOX TOPS SUBMISSION IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER - END OF FEBRUARY! If every child at Harper collects and turns in 15 BOX TOPS, we can reach our goal of raising $1000 for the school! Please see the attached list of participating products. Keep in mind when clipping that the expiration date must be visible and not expired. There is a collection box in the front entrance of Harper - purchase the product, clip the Box Top, check the expiration date, and turn in to the school. Thank you and keep on clipping!
The Green Corner
Do your kids return home with empty lunch boxes? Many kids have been tossing their uneaten lunches in the cafeteria trash!
For those that bring lunch: can you please ask your children to return home with any remaining food? This can allow parents and students to possibly tweak their packing. Parents can take inventory of what the kids like/don't like, or perhaps it is a matter of too many options or too much food given for the time allocated to eat (and of course, to socialize)... Doing this may prevent children from tossing away perfectly good food and will reduce lunchroom waste.
*Thank you parents for your suggestions. Have more ideas or questions/concerns you want answers to? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2/6 through 3/20--1st grade yoga program led by Lisa Weber
Thank you for your contributions to iGNITE!
- Link to community events: http://www.wilmette39.org/news/community_events/
New Trier Senior Class hosts 2018 Winter Carnival on February 23rd from 5:30-9:00 pm.
- Attend the Illinois Baseball Academy and Chicago Cubs Jon Lester’s NVRQT "Never Quit” charity event at the Wilmette Movie Theatre on March 3rd for a special viewing of The Sandlot. Amazing raffle prizes offered to support the fight against pediatric cancer.
- Going Green Matters 2018 will be held March 11th 12:00 - 4:00 pm at Michigan Shores Club.
- Little Legends Soccer Academy offers soccer training for boys & girls ages 2-8.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org