Welcome to Week Two!
Principles of Composition
It was a pleasure meeting you in Week 1! I know we will have a great term together! In Week 1, you wrote your first two paragraphs and worked on topic sentences and supporting details. In Week 2, you will write a three paragraph descriptive essay. You will also have an opportunity to learn more about your career while practicing your writing skills. This should make for an excellent week!
Before You Begin
If you haven't yet done so, please make a point to read the South University Policies and Guidelines and indicate that you have read and responded to all material on the course home page.
Read this week's lectures, including Chapter 6 on "Descriptive Writing" in Ticket to Write. Then follow the steps below:
- Step One—Reflect
Using a job search site from the list below, locate a position listing for a job you would like to hold. Think about the professional traits required of a person employed in that position. (Copy and paste the listing and its web address into a Word file in case you want to cite from it. If you do, you will need these for your in-text citations and references page.)
- Monster www.monster.com
- Careerbuilder http://www.careerbuilder.com/
- Indeed: one search, all jobs http://www.indeed.com/
- SimplyHired http://www.simplyhired.com/
- Step Two—Compose
Once you have completed your brainstorming compose a 200-word response in which you describe your professional image. It will contain three parts:
- In the opening, introduce your topic to let your readers know you are describing your professional image.
- In the body of the work describe your professional image, including the setting of your job, the wardrobe appropriate to that setting, and the professional traits needed to be successful there. Try to capture how you will look and present yourself in your career.
- The concluding sentences should share why that image is important to your professional goals.
- Post your work to the discussion area.
Writing Assignment Overview
Prepare for the Writing Assignment
This week’s writing assignment is to compose a descriptive essay of 3 or more paragraphs and post it to the discussion area for reviews by two of your peers. You want to choose one of the topics listed in the project description. Please do not post an attachment of your two paragraphs.
It is important that you take the time to prewrite before drafting the paper. Make sure to also read my first discussion board post for guidance.
We will also work with peer reviews this week. Peer reviews are a wonderful opportunity to engage in a dialogue about your writing with your classmates. Let’s keep in mind that we should remain both polite and helpful throughout the peer review experience.
Relaxation to Write
Let's make it a great week!
During our time together, I anticipate you asking questions when you need help. Please remember I am not a mind reader! Reach out and ask as many questions as you need. Email is fastest.
Let’s make it a great Week 1!!!