Gonzalez Premier Express
Week of May 16, 2016
Our PKA students will lead us during announcements this week. Please, make sure students are familiar with the script and report to the office by 7:58 a.m. I would like to start announcements no later than 8:05 a.m.
RACING TO PREMIER
I am very proud of the work done by you and our students. It is always very rewarding when we see students being focused, working and being successful. It is awesome to see students taking the time to thank teachers, staff members, and administrators for believing in them. I am thankful for a great year so far and the impact that each one of you has made in the lives of our Senators. As we continue to strive to become the PREMIER elementary school in Dallas ISD,
- continue teaching and holding students accountable for the learning. If you find that your students are beginning to get in trouble, know that it is not because of this or that, but rather because they are not being challenged anymore; therefore, they will find their own source of entertainment. Remember, ACPs are coming-up, and ISIP and RM City has not stopped. Avoid headaches, continue teaching and getting students ready for the next grade level.
post the LO/DOL and communicate with our students what we are going to teach them during the lesson, in student-friendly, concrete language. This primes the brain to be receptive to what we are going to teach them.
ensure that there is closure to the lesson. This creates an information chunk that the brain can efficiently process, store, recall and connect.
validate students' work and show off what is taking place in your classroom by posting their work in the classroom and on bulletin boards.
- Ms. Shelby and Ms. Edwards for their leadership and coordination of the testing environment. Our test administrators and students were on their best game. We had a smooth testing environment and had positive comments from the testing administrator from Central office.
- Teachers and support staff who acted as testing administrator for their support in making test security a priority. There was evidence of test proctors being mobile and vigilant. We were able to maintain a secure testing environment as well as keep our students focused!!!
- Mr. Gonzalez-Rodriguez, Ms. Tabarez, Ms. Menchaca, Ms. Rangel, and Ms. Williams for submitting their roster verification last week.
- Everyone who has submitted his/her responses to the climate survey. By providing your feedback, it helps us to improve as an organization. Thank you for taking the time to respond and let your voice be heard.
provides feedback to students as they are working in an expository writing composition. This is a great instructional practice that supports students in improving their writing.
In Ms. Rojas' class, students provide feedback to each other as they work on improving their expository writing. Students take ownership of their work, support one another, and learn at a different level.
provides feedback to students in order to improve the quality of writing and ideas. During independent writing, students use rubrics and reference sheets to create a quality writing composition. Fantastic job in the implementation of two great instructional practices!!!
Under the leadership and initiative of one of our parents, Mrs. Guevara, and the support of Ms. Herrera, Ms. Pohly, Ms. Cooray, and Ms. Del Toro, the team has had a great start and is very active around the campus. Thank you for creating a GREEN conscience for our students!!!
Under the leadership of Mrs. Blasingame, our team won 3rd Place in the Districtwide Chess Tournament last Saturday at Conrad High School! (Dealey was 1st place, and Hexter was 2nd). Our students did a fantastic job and we are proud of their accomplishment!!!
Ms. Wilburn, Ms. Edwards, and Ms. Kennard helped Gonzalez to be the super host during our meeting. Everyone was very complimentary of the displays, setup, and theme for the meeting. Way to represent!!!
- Environmental Center Field Trip PreK - Luna/Edwards
- Career Day 3rd-5th
- TEI Roster Verification continues through May 25
- K-2 Literacy Cadre at Burleson (K-2 reading teachers select one to attend and let Ms. Edwards know which session you will attend)
- SLO Accomplishment Due via SchoolNet- Mena/Cordoba
- 8:30 - 10:00 Coffee With the Principal / Volunteer Recognition
- 1:30 - 2:00 - 2nd,3rd & 4th Musical Awakenings Program
- TEI Expert Session @4:45-5:45
- K-2 Literacy Cadre at Cuellar (K-2 reading teachers select one to attend and let Ms. Edwards know which session you will attend)
- Weekly PLC - Spring ACP Testing
Kindle Surveys Due - Edwards
Climate Survey Due - Cordoba
Student survey results will be available
K-2 Literacy Cadre at Anderson (K-2 reading teachers select one to attend and let Ms. Edwards know which session you will attend)
- K-2nd / 5th Reading ACP
- Weekly Meeting - Needs Assessment and Close out procedures
- K-2nd / 5th Math ACP
- DTR Snapshot available
- Cinco De Mayo/Spring Carnival 4-7 p.m. - This is the time when your grade level and/or club can raise funds for next year. We have worked out this transition since last year and this will be your opportunity to raise as much as you can for your needs as a club or grade level.
- 3rd - 5th Social Studies ACP
- 3rd - 5th Language Arts ACP
- 3rd - 4th Science and 3rd-5th Specials ACP
- Cheerleaders Tryouts
- 3rd - 5th Field Day
- ACP make up. Please, encourage our students to be in attendance during the regular scheduled ACP to avoid having make ups on this day. Students tend to do a better job taking the test when taking it with the whole class.
- PreK- 2nd Field Day
- 6:00- 8:00 5th Grade Dance
- 4:30 PreK Celebration
- Awards day
- 5:30 5th Grade Awards
A Message from the GREEN TEAM!!!
- Purchase products made with recycled material. You may see labels that say “Made with 75% Post-Consumer Waste” – the higher the percent, the more recycled material was used.
- Purchase products with less packaging. This saves you the headache of trying to “break in” to hard-to-open packages, and is often an option when purchasing online.
- Forget one-time use containers – everything from brown paper lunch sacks to baggies to coffee pods – all of these items have reusable counterparts that will save you a lot of money over time and keep a lot of waste out of the landfill.
- Donate and recycle your used athletic shoes through the
World Wear Project
Teacher and Student Surveys - Kindle usage
Please complete these surveys with your homeroom class by May 18th. They should take no longer than 10-15 minutes (max) to finish. I recommend going through the survey with your students together to avoid confusion on the questions.
Link to student survey: http://tiny.cc/stepstudent2016
Link to teacher survey: http://tiny.cc/stepteacher2016
Contract Dissemination for the 2016-2017
- Contracts for contract-eligible employees are available via Oracle Employee Self Service.
- An email notification from firstname.lastname@example.org will be sent out to inform employees that 2016-2017 contracts are available for acknowledgement. Please, check your Clutter box in your e-mail for an email with more details.
- All employees will have two weeks to provide an electronic signature; according to section 21 of the Dallas ISD Educator Contracts, an offer of employment shall expire if the contract is not signed by deadline.
Thank you for being a champion for our scholars!!!
We Wish You A Happy Birthday!
- Ms. Lopez, May 16