PINE HOLLOW MIDDLE SCHOOL
Friday, March 1, 2019
Yesterday we held our monthly emergency drill, this one being an "Intruder Drill" to practice our protocols in the event that there's an intruder or active shooter on campus. At Pine Hollow, like most secondary schools in our district, we follow the "RUN, HIDE, FIGHT" protocol in the event of an intruder. So, yesterday we practiced the "HIDE" part of this protocol and had students and staff simulating hiding in their classrooms and locking down their rooms by closing blinds, barricading doors and getting everyone down low behind desks.
Intruder Drills can be stressful for students, so you may want to check in with your child about this drill. Having a discussion with them about intruders/active shooters and the "RUN, HIDE, FIGHT" protocol can be difficult, but it will help prepare them and can often reduce anxiety. Please view FEMA's informational flier here so that you have more details about proper protocols for intruders/active shooters.
Our school-wide Safety Plan is very thorough and we practice the protocols and procedures in the plan monthly. My number one priority as a principal is to make sure we have a safe campus, so we are regularly examining our systems and structures to see if improvements are possible. If you would like to know more, or get involved in improving our safety plan, please email me - we can always use the help. To sign up for text alerts that the Pine Hollow administration will utilize to communicate in the event of a safety emergency, please text @6d373g to the phone number 81010. Thank you and let me know if you have any questions. Best,
Principal, Pine Hollow Middle School
(925) 672-5444 x5500
No School on March 11 / Minimum Day on March 15
- There is no school for students on Monday, March 11. This is district-wide staff development day for district employees.
- There is a special Minimum Day scheduled for Pine Hollow students on Friday, March 15. This is the last day of the 3rd Quarter, and staff will be collaborating after students leave school. The special minimum day schedule has school ending at 11:45am, and bag lunches will be available for purchase in the MUR from 11:45-12:15pm. The bell schedule for this special minimum day is as follows:
2nd Quarter Honor Roll
Students who earned Honor Roll status this quarter were given a Pine Hollow Honor Roll sticker and invited to the Movie and Popcorn Event last week during 6th Period. Each quarter we reward and acknowledge our students who reach this significant achievement. Congratulations Mustangs!
232 Pine Hollow students increased their iReady scores by 25 points or more from the first iReady diagnostic in September to the second iReady diagnostic in January! This is significant progress, and shows that many of our students are improving their knowledge, skills, and understanding in Math and English. Students who improved at least 25 points will be awarded with a special treat at lunch this week. The iReady diagnostic tests are taken online three times per year and show student progress in Math and English. Parents will be sent information about their child's results in March. Here is the breakdown of our student progress this year:
7 Period Day Vote
8th Grade Baby Photos for Yearbook
Pine Hollow Open House... Save the Date!
- 4:30 = Food Trucks Open / Book Fair Opens
- 5:30 = Incoming 6th Grade Presentation for Students and Parents in Gym
- 6:00 = Incoming 6th Graders and Parents Visit Classrooms
- 6:30 = Open House Begins for Current 6th, 7th, and 8th Grade students and families
- 7:30 = Food Trucks Close
- 8:00 = Open House Ends
8th Grade Activities and Promotion ... Save the Dates!
8th GRADE END OF YEAR ACTIVITIES
- Picnic: Friday, May 24 (All Day)
- Dance: Friday, May 31 (7:00-9:00pm)
- Awards Ceremony: Monday, June 3 (6:30-8:00pm)
8th GRADE PROMOTION
- Wednesday, June 5 (8:30-10:30am)
The immunization regulations have changed starting July 1, 2019. Students advancing to 7th grade will need to show proof of:
- the standard required immunizations for school,
- and 1 dose of Tdap (booster for tetanus; diphtheria; and pertussis, also called whooping cough), given on or after the 7th birthday,
- and 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox), both doses given after 12 months of age, or healthcare provider verified “had disease”.
Without proof of these additional immunizations, your child will not be allowed to attend school. Full details are attached below:
Upcoming Key Dates
- March 4: Basketball Games at Riverview MS
- March 5: Site Council Meeting
- March 11: No School (Teacher In-Service Day)
- March 11: MDUSD Board Meeting
- March 15: 3rd Quarter Ends / Special Minimum Day (School Ends at 11:45am)
- March 18: Basketball Playoffs
- March 22: 3rd Quarter Report Cards Distributed
- March 25: Basketball Playoffs
- March 25: MDUSD Board Meeting
- March 27: PTSA Meeting
- March 28: MDUSD DELAC Meeting
- March 29: No School (Cesar Chavez Day Observed) / Spring Break Begins