Ninth Grade News
Week of February 1
Thank you for completing the registration process with your student. After Spring Break, students will receive a verification print-out of their course requests for Sophomore year.
On Tuesday of this week, freshman students will take the English I STAAR EOC benchmark. Students will report to their testing locations when they arrive at school at 8:30 a.m. on this date. This is a timed exam and must be completed within five hours. Students will take a break for lunch at their testing location, therefore, students will need to bring a sack lunch or will be able to order a sack lunch from the cafeteria on Tuesday. See below for additional testing information. Remote learners will receive testing information via email today.
We will follow a modified bell schedule on Thursday, February 4 to accommodate Sophomore English 2 testing.
We are thankful for your partnership and are looking forward to another great week of Growing Greatness!
Carolyn Ansley, Principal
Monday, February 1
- Advisory Day
- Bearcats Championship Celebration @Bearcat Stadium, 6:30 pm
Tuesday, February 2
- English I STAAR EOC benchmark
- Boys BB WF Rider @AHS, 5:00 pm (FR), 6:15 pm (JV), 7:30 pm (VAR)
- Girls BB WF Rider @WF, 5:00 pm (JV), 6:30 pm (VAR)
- Boys Soccer @Azle, 5:30 pm (JV), 7:00 pm (VAR)
- Girls Soccer vs. Azle @AHS, 5:30 pm (JV), 7:00 pm (VAR)
- Girls Softball @Joshua, 5:00 pm (JV), 6:30 pm (V)
Wednesday, February 3
- Flex Day
Friday, February 5
- Flex Day
- Boys BB @Wichita Falls, 5:00 (FR), 6:15 pm (JV), 7:30 pm (VAR)
- Girls BB - TBD
- Girls Soccer @Rider, 5:30 pm (JV), 7:00 pm (VAR)
- Boys Soccer WF Rider @AHS, 5:30 pm (JV), 7:00 pm (VAR)
- Girls Softball Ennis Scrimmage @AHS 4:30 pm (V), 6:30 pm (JV)
Saturday, February 6
- Regional Swim Meet @Mansfield
- Virtual Parenting University, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
English I Benchmark Information:
The English I STAAR EOC is a timed exam and must be completed within 5 hours. You may bring your own sack lunch or you will be able to order a sack lunch from the cafeteria. No lunch orders will be delivered from the Main Office. Please make sure to eat a hearty breakfast (protein) before school starts. You are welcome to bring a snack to eat during the test, but you will not be allowed to eat in the testing room. If you bring a snack, you are encouraged to eat it when you take a restroom break. You may bring bottled water, but it must be clear and not flavored.
Please observe these rules during testing:
- No cell phones, other electronic devices, or anything with internet access or photographic capability is allowed at your desk. This includes Smart Watches and wireless earbuds. Make sure all devices are turned off and placed with your belongings at the edge of the room as directed by test administrators.
- Bottled water is allowed at your desk and it must be kept on the floor.
- Snacks are allowed only when you take a restroom break and only outside of the testing location.
- Time will not be adjusted for restroom or snack breaks.
- When you have completed the test and before dismissal, you may read a book or rest quietly.
- No talking is allowed when testing is in progress.
- Follow instructions read by the test administrator.
- Do not mark anything on the front of the answer document unless instructed to do so by the test administrator.
- Bring a jacket or sweater in case the room is cool, but hoods may not be worn.
- You may use your own pencils if they can be verified by test administrators to be #2.
- On essays and short answer questions, remember to write within the boxes and only on the printed lines. Do not pencil-in extra lines or double-up.
- Be sure to bubble all your answers dark and neat, and complete your essays within five hours. Once your test administrator stops the test, you must put your pencil down and close your test booklet. You will not be allowed to continue to fill in bubbles, erase stray marks, or darken answer choices.
Students who are absent on their scheduled date of testing will be administered their proper exam on the first day that they return to school. Please contact Mr. Durnil with any questions regarding Campus Testing.
Mrs. Valerie Redding - PAP English I
Mrs. Redding teaches PAP English I at DNG. A graduate of the University of Houston, she then went on to pursue her Master’s from the University of New Mexico. Inspired to teach by her mom and English teachers, she has taught for 24 years. In addition to football games and halftime shows, she enjoys reading, shopping, and four wheeling with her husband and son. If she had a superpower, it would be to never need sleep and always have endless energy. An interesting thing about Mrs. Redding is that she and her husband lived on their 38 foot sailboat!
Parenting University presents: Parenting Through Challenging Times
The Aledo ISD will host a virtual Parenting University "Parenting Through Challenging Times" in partnership with the Aledo ISD PTO from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Feb. 6, 2021.
Parenting University is free to attend and is for parents of students of all ages. With the virtual format, there will be an opening general session from 9 to 10 a.m. then four concurrent sessions from 10 to 11 a.m., and the same four sessions will run concurrently from 11 a.m. to noon. The concurrent sessions will be hosted in breakout rooms.
Links to join Parenting University will be emailed to Aledo ISD parents.
Updated School Calendar
The Aledo ISD Board of Trustees approved an updated 2020-2021 Instructional Calendar in December, adding two new teacher workdays/student holidays in the Spring semester.
With the new calendar, students will be off on Friday, Feb. 12, and Monday, March 22.
Deadline to Switch Instructional Models
Any student wishing to change instructional models for the fourth nine-week grading cycle -- from remote to in-person or from in-person to remote - must notify the district two weeks prior to the next grading cycle. The deadline to request a change in instructional models for the fourth nine weeks is 4 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 26. Links to the forms to request to change instructional models for the third grading cycle will be available closer to the February 26 deadline. The deadline to request to change instructional models for the third nine-week grading cycle has now closed as it was Friday, Dec. 4.
COVID Health and Safety Reminders
As we move into cold and flu season and begin to see an uptick in positive COVID-19 cases amongst our students and staff, please be reminded of the health and safety protocols in Aledo ISD's Return to Learn Plan:
- Parents of all students must screen children for symptoms and take the temperature of each of their children before their child attends school every day. Students who have an elevated temperature above 100.4 OR have any COVID-related symptoms must report the symptoms to their campus nurse and stay home. Please do not send students to school with symptoms. For Daniel Ninth Grade, our nurse is Danielle Barnes (email@example.com).
- All students shall wear face coverings at all times while on Aledo ISD property that social distancing, maintaining six feet of distance, is not possible. Face coverings should cover both the nose and mouth of the user.
Aledo ISD COVID-19 Dashboard
Aledo ISD is tracking COVID-19 cases within our school Community. To do this we need your help – if your child ever tests positive for COVID-19 or shows symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or has close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please click this link to complete our AISD COVID Reporting form. Our data will only be as accurate as what is reported to us. Please help us keep our entire community healthy and safe by providing this information as soon as it becomes known to you. To view the Aledo ISD COVID Dashboard, please click here.
Your student will need to provide evidence that they are a student enrolled in a public, private, or home school and have been attending school for at least 90% of the time. A VOE form is issued by our office.
To Request a VOE Form:
- Your student will scan the QR code in the front office.
- They will need to complete the linked Google form.
- The VOE will be available the following day and can be picked up at the front office. The form will need to be signed by your student and witnessed by office staff.
How do I check my student out for an appointment or early release?
Daniel Ninth Grade Campus is currently closed to visitors. We understand at times, however, it may be necessary for you to pick up your student for an appointment. Please allow for a few extra minutes when picking up your student as we are using a new check out system and have new processes in place. We kindly ask that you follow these procedures when picking up your student:
- Pull up to the student pick up/drop off area in front of our main doors.
- Once you enter the building, please remain in the lobby area. Our office staff will greet you and ask to scan your ID. You can also call our office at 817-441-4504 to let us know you are here. If it is during a passing period, we ask that you please wait outside until the students have exited the building.
- We will then call your student’s teacher to notify them that you are here to pick them up.
How do I report a student absence?
Thank you, parents, for doing a great job of communicating student absences with our office staff and for keeping your child home when they are not feeling well.
If your child is sick or will not be at school for any other reason, please call the school at
(817) 441-4504 or email Sarah Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org to report an absence.
Any student or staff who tests positive for COVID-19 or shows symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or has close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please complete the AISD COVID-19 Reporting Form.
How do I request a district device?
Your child will need access to a laptop or Chromebook in order to complete assignments in Canvas both at home and school. Please visit the following link if you would like to learn more about checking out a Chromebook from the Aledo ISD Technology Department: https://www.aledoisd.org/Page/4320
Ascender Student Portal
1. Go to the Aledo ISD home page and click on Parents and Students at the top of the page. Then click on Student Portal Link on the left side of the page. (You can also go to the link directly: https://tinyurl.com/y5knvfwa)
2. Click on Create Account
3. Enter your student ID number, date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.