Hearst Family Update
November 1, 2020
Good morning Owl families,
I had hoped that I'd be writing this update with a clear sense of what is happening in Term 2, but unfortunately that is not the case. DCPS remains in negotiations with both the Washington Teachers Union (WTU) and the Council of School Officers (CSO), the union for school administrators, and as such, is unable to communicate with teachers and administrators about anything that is currently being discussed in those negotiations about Term 2. This includes staffing for Term 2, professional development, and a host of other issues. Given the uncertainty of staffing and other factors, I’m not confident that we will be able to return to in-person learning on November 9th. As of now, we will move forward with the previously shared schedule for next week (see below for additional details) and assume that Term 2 will begin in an all-virtual model on November 9 unless we receive further direction from the DCPS central office.
Thanks for your support and hope you're having a good weekend,
News and Announcements from Hearst
Upcoming Key Dates
- Monday, November 2 - Last day of live instruction for students in Term 1
- Tuesday, November 3 - Election Day (no school for students & teachers)
- Wednesday, November 4 - Asynchronous learning day for students; professional development day for staff
- Thursday, November 5 - Asynchronous learning day for students; professional development day for staff
- Friday, November 6 - End of Term 1; no school for students; professional development day for staff
- Monday, November 9 - Term 2 starts
- Wednesday, November 11 - Veteran's Day (no school)
- Wednesday, November 18 - LSAT Meeting, 4:30-5:30pm; PTA Meeting, time TBD
- November 25-27 - Thanksgiving Break (no school for students and teachers)
- Due to the potential shifts in Term 2, we will pause our MTSS small groups after 11/2. Once we have more information from DCPS regarding Term 2, we will have an update on when MTSS small groups will resume.
- Reminder: Through the end of Term 1, the school building will be open from 8:30-4:30pm Mondays-Fridays for students and families to pick up learning materials. Please contact Ms. Johnson (email@example.com) with any questions.
Grades 3-5 Students Please Take Panorama Fall 2020 Student Survey Before November 2
Impact Aid Survey Open (10/30-12/22)
Hearst School Spirit Fridays
Reminder: Vaccinations Required to Return to Learning in the Building
Help your kids #StayOnTrack and ready for school-entry with on-time vaccinations.
Hearst has a current immunization compliance rate of 80.83% as of 10-11-2020. Remember to send your child's immunization records to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make appointments with your health care providers and provide the proper documentation before the start of in-person school (see here for a list of required immunizations). Immunizations must be up to date to take an in-person seat or CARES seats starting in Term 2.
Por favor ayuden a sus hijos a mantenerse vacunados y listos para el regreso a la escuela.
La escuela ha comenzado, recuerde enviar los registros de vacunación de su hijo/a a email@example.com. Haga citas con sus proveedores de atención médica y proporcione la documentación adecuada antes del inicio de clases en persona (tentativamente a partir del 6 de noviembre de 2020). Consulte aquí para obtener una lista de las vacunas requeridas. A pesar de que estamos comenzando en forma remota, nos comunicaremos con todos los alumnos a los que les falta el certificado de vacunas.
News and Announcements from DCPS
• Every #ReopenStrong email update to families is available under the Updates page.
• A graphic outlining key components of Term 2 learning models is on the Student Selection Process page.
• Our COVID-19 Response Protocol is available for the public.
• The Family FAQ has nearly 80 responses.
• Videos and presentations from weekly community town halls are available to stream.