CDS Middle School
August 14th, 2020
Welcome Back to CDS!
It's been a busy week in the CDS Middle School preparing for the students next week! You have all received a copy of our Return to School Plan that outlines the protocols we will be taking to ensure the safety of all students. Later in the newsletter, I will outline some of the details that are most relevant for Middle School families.
While this year presents may challenges and the need to be flexible, the enthusiasm level from both teachers and students is high. We are thrilled to have our students back on campus on Tuesday and are ready to ensure they have a fun and safe start to the year!
First Day of School
August 18th , Tuesday (8/18) by 7:50AM / 8월 18일 화요일 7시 50분까지
5th Grade & New Students: Small Theater / 5학년 & 신입생: Small Theater
Returning Students: Report to House / 기존 학생: 각자 House로 등교
House assignment will be posted throughout the 1st and 2nd floor of the MS building.
House assignment는 중학교 건물 1층과 2층에 공지되어 있을 예정입니다.
In Morning House, students will be given a copy of their class schedule.
등교 당일 아침, 학생들은 이번 학기 시간표를 받게됩니다.
What to Bring?
- Basic school supplies (binders, pen, pencil & notebook)
기본 학용품 (바인더, 펜, 연필 & 공책)
(Class schedule will be viewed on Power School and given to the student in House
시간표는 파워스쿨에서 개학 전 날 확인할 수 있습니다.)
Students will receive their Math, Science, and Social Studies textbooks from the library on the first or second day of school. Please bring the books you have purchased with you on the first day.
학생들은 첫째날 또는 둘째날 도서관에서 수학, 과학, 사회 교과서를 받을 예정입니다. 이 외 과목 교과서는 등교 첫날 가지고 와야합니다.
MS Student Orientation:
The first day of school will be used for orientation, culture building, and team building activities.
등교 첫 날은 중학교 오리엔테이션, 친구들과 관계쌓기 등의 활동 위주로 진행됩니다. 정규 교과는 등교 둘째날부터 시작됩니다.
CDS Return to School Plan
- Morning Drop Off and Afternoon Pick Up: As of now, Middle School students will be dropped off and picked up outside of the Dalton Arches. There are two new parking lots outside of campus that you can utilize for pick up and drop off. Only cars with FP students will be allowed on campus for pick up and drop off. If a student is injured or carrying a large instrument, they can be dropped off in front of the main entrance, near the Small Theater. Student will not be allowed in the building before 7:20, so please plan accordingly.
- After School: Unless students are participating in sports or After School Programs, students should leave campus immediately. The school will be closed at 5:00pm each day for sanitation. Student can be picked up from after school sports or programs outside of the Dalton Arches or in the new parking lots across the street.
- Guests on Campus: Guests, including parents, are not allowed in the school building during the school day unless they have an appointment. If you need to come in the school building for any reason, you must contact the Middle School Office first.
- Absences: If you suspect your child has any of the symptoms of COVID or will be absent for any reason, contact the Middle School Office. Students will be expected to get their schoolwork completed once they recover, but your child's safety and health take priority over their school work. If they are home from school with mild symptoms, they can check their Assignment Packets and Google Classroom for all of their assignments. They can also communicate with their teachers via email. Once your child returns to school, we will make sure they utilize Lab and Flex time to get caught up with their teachers on the content they missed. If there is a case where someone in our community is diagnosed with COVID, the school will switch to distance learning until we are allowed to reopen campus.
- Lunch: As students walk through the line, they can communicate with the cafeteria serving staff about portion size and decline something if they do not wish to have it. But the choice of western meal or Korean meal is not offered during the first term. Being safe and efficient is key while serving and eating in the cafeteria. Limiting choice is a function of utilizing the resources we have to achieve safety and efficiency.
- Water bottles: We highly recommended that students bring their own water bottle.This will eliminate extra trips to the water dispenser and keep the water dispenser more sanitary.
Our Return to School Plan is a working document that will be updated as we begin the new school year and throughout the year. Some protocols may change, and we will be sure to share the changes with you once they are made.
Health Check Form
학생 건강 자가 진단서8월 10일 월요일을 시작으로, 모든 학생들은 반드시 건강상태 자가진단 설문을 매일 작성하여 제출해야 합니다. 모두의 안전을 위한 절차이기에 8월 18일 전까지 건강 진단 설문을 매일 완료하지 못한 학생은 등교 첫날 학교 건물에 입장할 수 없음을 알려드립니다.
Back to School Night
Supplies for 2020-21 School Year
- 5 White D-ring Moonhwa Binders A4 3cm
- 1 Index Divider Packet (10 dividers in each packet)
- 6 Notebooks (any notebooks)
- 5th and 8th Grade Science: Any Wireless Mouse (here is an example)
- Art and 5th Grade Math: Colored Pencils
- Chinese Bridge and Advanced Chinese: 3 Chinese Character Notebooks
If you need to order textbooks for your students, please see this letter from our librarian, Ms. Carley. New students will learn what World Language class they will be in on the first day. Parents can purchase their world language workbooks here. Textbooks may be take a while for delivery, but we have enough for students to borrow in the meantime.
Student Council 2020-21
Like years past, all students may apply for the Secretary, Treasurer, and Grade Level Representative Positions.
Students will receive the application forms on Tuesday, August 18th, and give their campaign speeches on Friday, August 21st. We can wait to see what our student leaders do this year!
New Faces in the Middle School
Hello everyone! My name is Lee Voon and I am happy to be teaching Grade 9 and Grade 6 English at CDS. I grew up in Vancouver, Canada and double majored in English Literature and History at the University of British Columbia. After teaching English as a Second Language for many years in an international college in Vancouver, I packed up my bags and moved halfway across the world to Nanjing, China. I had the wonderful opportunity to spend three years in China, picking up some Chinese and teaching English to an amazing group of high school students in the International Baccalaureate program. But my dream has always been to teach in a school in Korea, learn the language, enjoy the food, and explore all that Korean culture has to offer. I'm happy to say that dreams do come true!
Aside from teaching, I love reading YA fiction, cooking up new recipes, and spreading a love for literature. I believe that you will never feel alone when you find a book that speaks to you. I’m excited to have the opportunity to start a new chapter at CDS and I look forward to getting to know the amazing students at this school!
Allison HS Lee
Hi everyone! This is Hyunseung (Allison) Lee. I am very excited to join CDS as a Middle School Math Teacher this school year! I was originally born in Korea, but spent ⅓ of my life in Shanghai, China. Having attended a Chinese local school, a Korean public school and an international school throughout my life, I became impressed by the fact that education can be offered in so many different ways. Since that time, I realized a passion for teaching and have dreamt of supporting students in their academics and social/emotional well-being ever since! With this dream in mind and after graduating from an international school in Shanghai, China, I double-majored in Pedagogy and English Literature for my undergraduate. Even though I studied English Education, I have always had a passion for teaching my favorite subject, mathematics, so I worked as a tutor for both middle and high school students during my university days. Prior to my current teaching position, I have worked as a Middle School Division Assistant at CDS for two and a half years. During this time, I continued to pursue my ultimate goal of becoming a math teacher! I have completed a rigorous teacher qualification program from Washington D.C. that qualifies me to teach Middle School Math, grades 5-8. In addition, I undertook direct training from Mrs. Hinds (during her tenure at CDS) and Ms. Black (previous Middle School Math teacher), by joining their math classes in both observational and teaching roles during the previous school year. I am looking forward to working with my amazing students and fellow educators more closely this school year!
5/6 English as an Additional Language
Hello everyone! My name is Laura Britain and I’m so excited to join CDS at the middle school! I am from Michigan, the Great Lakes State, where my home is a short drive from beautiful Lake Michigan. At the middle school level, I have experience teaching grades 5 through 7 math and English Language Arts, as well as a wonderful experience teaching grades 5-8 math and science in Shenzhen, China. The energy, creativity, and enthusiasm of students at the middle school level is incredible and they continuously amaze me!
Outside of the classroom, I have enjoyed traveling to countries throughout Europe and Asia, meeting so many incredible people along the way. I love playing tennis, skiing, and visiting new places. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to explore Korea and to be part of the team at CDS!
Textbook Deposit for New Students and 5th Graders
The tables in the cafeteria are socially distanced and ready for students!
Teachers are practicing safe protocols in the hallways.
Practicing what our students will be doing in classrooms next week!