MMA Montessori Moments
August 19th, 2019
Fantastic Opening Week!
We invite all families to a family luncheon this Thursday, August 22nd. Check out the invite and details below. We hope to see you there!
Since early childhood is half day, we invite kindergarten and pre-k families to come the last 30 minutes of class (AM 11:00-11:30, PM 2:30-3:00) to have snack and recess with your child and their class.
See you all there!
What three traits define you? Loving, empathetic, and artistic
What would you like to be your greatest accomplishment? One day becoming a mother and having a loving family of my own.
What's one thing you couldn't live without? My phone, because it has all of my photos of my family and friends, all of my music on it, and it is my main way that I keep in contact with my loved ones.
What is the one thing you cannot resist? Ice cream
What is your favorite thing to do? I have so many things that I like to do. I love the outdoors, and I’m an artist so I love to do things with my hands. Things like woodworking, jewelry making, sculptures, drawing, and so on.
Where is the most interesting place you've traveled to and why? Disney World in Florida, because it is a really fun place to go, and has so many interesting things to see, buy, and learn about, especially in Epcot.
Who is your biggest inspiration? My second oldest brother for so many reasons.
What advice do you have for kids who are struggling at school? Life can be and will be hard from time to time but if we learn to be patient with ourselves and others we can learn and be successful in and at everything that we put effort into.
How do you define success? Having enough confidence in yourself to be your full authentic real self and do the things that make you happy despite what others may say and think.
What do the students think of Ms. Vanessa?
1. What is the best thing about Ms. Vanessa? She is kind and respectful to us; she hasn't raised her voice and is very cool and nice. Ms. Vanessa is really patient. She tries to get the students situated and prepared. She is very willing to help those students who may be having a difficult day.
2. Why do you think Ms. Vanessa is a good fit for MMA? Ms. Vanessa is a good fit because she is doesn't make the students feel like they are different or outsiders. Everyone has bad days, but we can overcome.
1. What three traits define you? Passionate, hard working, loyal
2.What would you like to be your greatest accomplishment? I would like to share the Montessori education with as many children as possible.
3. What's one thing you couldn't live without? I couldn’t live without my family and without serving and educating children.
4. What is the one thing you cannot resist? I can’t resist a chocolate molten lava cake.
5. What is your favorite thing to do? I love to go for walks in the mountains, preferably with a dog.
6. Where is the most interesting place you've traveled to and why? I traveled to Malaysia and spent some time on an island in the middle of an ancient volcanic lake. With the locals I would do things like wash my clothes on rocks or throw out a net to catch fish. Many of them had red teeth from eating a particular nut. Also there was also only one shared toilet for the whole village-that was interesting.
7. Who is your biggest inspiration? I could say my biggest inspiration is someone like Mother Teresa but my biggest inspiration is Ms. Rene, the director of Maria Montessori Academy. She has proven to me how to stay positive and strong. I want to be a leader and she has shown me how. She is available and compassionate. Her energy to her work is endless. She is inclusive. I have watched her day and night serve our community and this is more real to me than someone who has lived long ago and far away. She inspires me every day.
8. What advice do you have for kids who are struggling at school? I would say reach out for help. Find those who support you. If your family is struggling to support you, go to your teachers. Communicate your needs. You don’t have to struggle alone.
9. How do you define success? Success is recognizing that there are people in your immediate circle that need you and that you take care of and serve them to the best of your ability. I call it your “acreage”. You might not be able to make big changes in this world but you can make those around you feel loved; you can watch over them. We can be like shepards and those in our “flock” can be supported by our tender care. To me, I will be successful in this life if I continue to remember who is in my flock- my neighbors, my students, my family, the person I pass on the street and honestly everyone with whom I come in contact- we are all part of the human family.
What do the students think about Ms. Shanan?
1. What is the best thing about Ms. Shanan? Her connection with her students. She understands them and is kind.2. Why do you think Ms. Shanan is a good fit for MMA? Ms. Shanan knows the curriclum, beleives in the Montessori Method, and has been here since the school opened.
MMA Cross Country
Coach Hyrum is looking for a female coaching partner. If you are interested, please contact the office if you are interested in assisting.
Junior High Fees
If your family requires assistance in paying these fees, please complete a fee wavier found on the forms and documents page of our website and submit it to René. All parts of the form should be filled in before submitting it and accompanied by required supporting documentation.
Checking out your student
If you need to change your "release" permissions that state who your child is allowed to leave with or change your contact information, you can update that yourself online after you get an Aspire account by following the directions on our website.
HOUSE of Children Pre-School Spots
Carpool Map and Flow
Please model grace and courtesy for our children during this process. Note that there are only two areas where students can get in or out of the car. Children should only exit the car on the side of the car with the sidewalk. This plan has been created and approved by our local police department to keep children safe and traffic flowing around school.
Never be on your phone and always be alert. Our children's lives are at stake. Thank you for the smiles!
Student Dress Code
There are no changes to the school’s Dress Code Policy, Dress Code Guidelines, or Dress Code Samples. School spirit t-shirts and other accessories are able for purchase. Remember that school spirit t-shirts that say MMA are appropriate to wear and meet the dress code policy.
Hoodies may only be worn as outerwear outside of the school and should have a school spirit t-shirt or collared shirt underneath. Students will be asked to remove their hoodies and other outerwear while inside the building. Students have time in the morning and during scheduled transitions to put these items in their lockers and still be on time for class. Better yet, let's encourage students to not bring these tempting items into the building at all.
19--First day of Kindergarten & Early Childhood
31--Maria Montessori’s Birthday
2--Labor Day; No School
5--Parent Education Night 5:30-7:00pm
6--MAPA Meeting @ 8:45am
10--MMA Board Meeting, 5:30pm
12--Redwoods Parent and Student Information Night 5:30-6:30pm (6th grade)
17--MAPA Meeting @ 6pm
21--International Day of Peace
27--Professional Development; Early Release
In case you missed it, click here to access the previous Family Newsletter.