Mrs. Tax's Kindergarten Class
Week of January 17, 2016
News and Events
- Monday, January 18- MLK Holiday
- Tuesday, January 19- Optional Teacher Workday
- Monday, January 25 through Wednesday, January 27- Open House at Claxton
- Tuesday, January 26- Report Cards go home
MATCHING LETTERS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER DURING FUNDATIONS
LEARNING TOPICS FOR THE THIRD QUARTER
We are nearing the end of Unit 2 and we will have completed handwriting practice for all the capital letters. We also learned how to tap the letter sounds in a 3 letter word and blend the sounds to read the word. Unit 2 Fundations packets will go home this week explaining tapping in more detail so you can practice at home.
We will continue to work on reading strategies to improve reading skills in small groups. At home you can practice the following during reading homework:
- Look at the picture and the beginning letter of words.
- Look for sight words that you know.
- Say the beginning sound and and slowly blend the rest of the sounds in the word.
During our focus lessons over the next two weeks, we will be learning about winter animals to practice the skill of researching a topic. We are starting with penguins!
We will be learning about informational writing this quarter and we will begin by writing facts about penguins.
We will begin learning how to solve story problems orally and move into addition and subtraction with manipulatives. We will also continue our work with teen numbers by counting objects up to 20 and understanding base 10.
SCIENCE AND SOCIAL STUDIES
We begin learning about weather and the different ways we interact with the environment.
- We are still low on snacks in the classroom. Thank you in advance for sending in yummy things for the students!
- MClass assessments begin Thursday, January 21. These assessments help us to determine each child's growth in reading skills. Please continue to read with your child each night and review sight words to help your child do their best on these assessments.