St. Mary Catholic Middle School
News Update: August 25, 2021
"God doesn't require us to succeed. He only requires you to try." -Saint Teresa of Calcutta
Back to School Bash and New Parent Welcome
All Middle School students are invited to join us for the first social of the year, our Back to School Bash! The Bash will include some outdoor games (moved inside if the weather doesn't cooperate), a snack (lemonade, ice pops, and popcorn), and a chance for students to reconnect with old friends while making new ones. Students are invited to wear their favorite team colors or jersey. The Back to School Bash starts at 6pm and students can be picked up at 8pm.
Parents who are new to SMCMS are invited to join us for a New Parent Welcome happening at the same time as the middle school social. The Welcome takes place upstairs at Holidays Pub and Grill in Neenah. It is a casual meet and greet opportunity to connect to other new parents, ask questions of our more seasoned SMCMS families, and learn about some exciting events you'll want to have on your calendar this fall. Light appetizers will be provided. A cash bar and full menu will be available.
Orientation and First Day Rundown
Here is what you can expect next week:
Monday, August 30th: Orientation Day
- Students: All students report to SMCMS at 12:30pm in dress code attire. Orientation will include a time for students to drop off supplies, organize their lockers, and meet with their advisory teacher. Scanlan Studios will also be taking school photos. Students will be dismissed at 2:30pm.
- Parents: All parents are encouraged to attend a parent meeting at either 2:30pm or 6:00pm. These meetings will last approximately 30 minutes and will include important information about the school year and an introduction of staff members.
Tuesday, August 31st: First Day of School
- Students may arrive no earlier than 7:15am and will wait in the SMCMS commons until the first bell rings at 7:40am. Students who arrive at 7:50am or later will be considered tardy and will need to sign in at the office.
- Students will be dismissed at 3:12pm and must be picked up before 3:30pm
- Busses: Per CDC order, masks are required while riding buses to school or to athletic events regardless of the school's mask policy. This includes the SMCS bus and all busing from districts that provide transportation to SMCHS (Neenah, Menasha and Hortonville).
Thursday, September 2nd: Mass at FAEC
- Middle School students will attend Mass every Thursday this school year at the FAEC on the high school campus.
- Students should come to school in Liturgy Dress Code every Thursday. To review dress code expectations, please click here.
Middle School After School Care
Saint Mary Catholic Middle School will offer after school care for the 2021-2022 school year from 3:15pm-5:15pm. Students will use this time to work on homework and assignments in the commons.
The fee for after school care will be $5.50 per hour per student. Please send a check to the school office to be credited to your after school care account (much like we do for hot lunch.) We will let you know when your balance is close to 0. Please preregister your student 24 hours in advance to participate.
Middle School students are not permitted to be on campus without adult supervision. If a student is still on campus after 3:30pm, they will be signed into After School Care.
Hot Lunch Help Needed!
The volunteer shift this year will run from 11:00am-12:30pm. Volunteers may record 2 hours for Parent Involvement time. If you are able to help, click here to reserve your spot.
Zephyrs Connect 2021
Friday, September 3, 2021, 4 p.m., Zephyr Fields
Join our SMCS community for Zephyrs Connect on September 3, 4 p.m. at Zephyr Fields. This annual community run/walk event features a 5K run/walk, kids games, food, entertainment, and the first Zephyrs Varsity Football home game of the season! Funds raised will support SMCS Athletics, Booster Club, Fine Arts, and STEM co-curriculars, as well as SMCS's five supporting Neenah-Menasha parishes: St. Gabriel, St. John, St. Margaret Mary, St. Mary, and St. Patrick. Learn more and register by clicking here.
All Aboard 2021
Saturday, October 16, 2021, 5-10 p.m., St. Mary Catholic Middle/High School Campus
It’s the can’t-miss event of fall at St. Mary Catholic Schools! You’re invited to All Aboard – one event, one night, creating community, and igniting giving for all three SMCS elementary schools and the middle school.
This casual evening event will feature delicious food and drinks, live entertainment, and exciting silent auction, event board, and raffle opportunities to win. The pre-event pig roast tailgate, sponsored by Miron Construction, begins at 5 p.m. with All Aboard beginning at 7 p.m. It’ll be a fun and unforgettable evening celebrating and supporting our students, staff, and their schools. There are many ways to get All Aboard for this inaugural SMCS event; check out details, sponsor, and register at www.smcsallaboard.org.
** Look for the All Aboard train photo booth at orientation on Monday, August 30. Snap a photo with your child(ren), and share using #smcsallaboard or tagging @smcszephyrs to be featured showing your support! **
If your student ordered a yearbook for the 2020-2021 school year and did not pick it up over the summer, those yearbooks will be distributed during the first week of school. Thanks for your patience with our COVID related shipping delays.
Shop the Spirit Stop!
Show your St. Mary Catholic Schools Zephyrs spirit with apparel from the Zephyrs Spirit Stop.
There are many ways to browse and buy Zephyrs Spirit Stop items throughout the school year:
- Visit the school front office to view items on display every school day.
- Browse and buy more styles and sizes online any time at https://smcs-booster.square.site/.
- Stop by the Zephyrs Spirit Stop at St. Mary Catholic High School, open every Friday (beginning September 10) from 7:30-8:15 a.m.
- Purchase items available during (most) home sporting events at St. Mary Catholic High School.
Have you found us on Facebook yet?
Our private Facebook group is a really helpful resource for parents looking to stay up to date on what's happening here on the middle school campus and things you need to know system wide. If you're not yet a member, click this link to request to be added.
For a complete calendar listing, view our Calendar online
8-26 Back to School Social 6-8pm SMCMS Campus
8-26 New Parent Welcome 6-8pm Holidays Pub and Grill
8-30 SMCMS Orientation 12:30-2:30pm
8-31 First Day of School
9-03 8th Grade Teambuilding Field Trip
9-03 Zephyrs Connect 5K Fun Run 4pm
09-06 No School: Labor Day