School Nutrition Newsletter
August 28, 2020
Important New Updates! School Re-Entry Guidance and Updates for School Nutrition Programs
Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) Submissions and Renewals Due Next Week!
- All CEP submissions and renewals must be received by the State Agency no later than Monday, August 31.
- No extensions will be given to this date.
- No claims for reimbursement can be filed or processed until the CEP application is validated by a field specialist.
- All documents supporting your CEP enrollment and identified students must be retained within the school nutrition program records or a minimums of the CEP claiming duration (typically four years) plus an additional three years.
- Questions? Contact Andrea Hollin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Direct Certification Webinar Series
- Don't forget! IDOE is now holding monthly Direct Certification webinars.
- In addition to any current updates to the DC system or processes, the monthly webinars will cover the most common questions that have been submitted since the previous webinar.
- Additionally sponsors have the ability to ask questions during the webinar to be answered at the end.
- Click here for more information and to register.
- Questions? Contact Allie Caito-Sipe at email@example.com.
How to Determine the USDA Foods (Entitlement) Value for Your School's Federal Expenditure Reports (SEFA)
- School corporations are required to complete the Gateway Annual Report, which contains a section on federal grant information. There have been many questions about how to calculate the amount of Non-Cash Assistance, or commodities, for the Child Nutrition Programs.
Pages seven and eight of the SBOA March 2018 School Bulletin contain guidance from The Indiana State Board of Accounts on how to determine the USDA Foods (Entitlement) Value for your school’s Federal Expenditure Reports (SEFA).
You will total the columns ("Entitlement Used", "No Charge Used", and "Bonus Used") on the Entitlement tab not the sum of the totals in the Header on that page (see bulletin and picture below for an example).
This guidance is for the reports being submitted this month. Please note the process could be changed in the upcoming year for future reports and will be communicated to all Food Service Directors and Financial Contacts.
Latest Brown Box to Bulk Newsletter
- The latest edition of the Brown Box to Bulk Newsletter from IDOE's Food Distribution Program (FDP) is now available.
- This newsletter includes important updates about re-certifying for FDP, state assigned warehouses, recipe ideas, and more!
- Don't forget! As long as you are "Pending Approval" on the SNP side (the purple puzzle piece), you can complete your information on the FDP side (green puzzle piece).
- Click here to access.
- Questions? Contact Cheryl Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Nutrition Association (SNA) Leadership Opportunities
- Would you like to grow professionally, bring your perspective to national issues and network with other school nutrition professionals? SNA’s Call for Nominations for the 2021 Election has begun and will continue through Wednesday, September 30.
- The recruitment of talented leaders for national office is important in enabling SNA to achieve its goals.
- SNA needs members with strong leadership skills, professional achievements, and participation in their state association and at SNA to lead the association in the future.
- Please direct general questions about nominations here.
- To see what positions are open, eligibility requirements, time commitments and other details on the upcoming election, click here.
- If you are seeking a committee appointment, have already submitted a 2021-22 Committee Interest Form, would like to recommend a colleague for a leadership position, or want to share your personal interest in serving SNA, please contact SNA’s Professional Development Committee Mideast Regional Representative, Beth Foland.
IDOE Resource Request Form
- Don't forget! IDOE's Resource Request Form is back open!
- Request hard copies of IDOE's most popular resources, handbooks, fact sheets, and more to be mailed to a specified address for free!
- For a list of what documents are available and to request documents to be mailed to you, click here.
- Questions? Contact Maggie Schabel at email@example.com.
Indiana Department of Education - School and Community Nutrition
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this newsletter, please contact Allie Caito-Sipe at firstname.lastname@example.org, call (317) 232-0849, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20849, or contact Ashley Heller at email@example.com, call (317) 232-0544, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20544.
Miss a Weekly School Nutrition Newsletter? Click here to access previous newsletters!
Was the newsletter forwarded to you? Want to add other employees to receive the newsletter? Click here to be added to the contact list.