Emillio Elliott Jr. - Hour 3
What are the health benefits of vegetables?
Vegetables have many antioxidants. These health benefiting phytochemical compounds help protect the human body from oxidant stress, diseases, and cancers.
How many vegetables should be in our daily diet?
5-7 servings a day.
What are 3 Nutrition facts about Collard Greens?
- 36% Vitamin A
- Collard greens are highly nutritious staple green "cabbage-like leaves" vegetable.
- 8% Calcium
What are 3 Health benefits about Collard Greens?
- Collard Green are rich in invaluable sources of phytonutrients with potent anti-cancer properties.
- Fresh collard green leaves are also rich in vitamin-C
- Collard greens are an excellent source of vitamin-A
What qualities to look for when selecting this vegetable?
- Bright , fresh, and crispy leaves
- Avoid yellow discolored leaves
- Choose from nearby organic farm to get maximum health benefits
How to store this vegetable
- Once at home, collard greens should be cleaned
- Rinse in salt water for about 30 minutes to kill any germs
Store in the refrigerator for up to four days.
3 Serving Tips when eating this vegetable
- Collard greens go very nicely with either salads or with cooked meat or fish dishes.
- The fresh leaves can be also used as juiced mixed with other complementing greens, fruits and herbs.
- The leaves should be chopped into smaller sections to aid quick cooking.