The Bobcat Beat
April 16, 2021
What to do if child is not feeling well?
We appreciate you reaching out directly to Fern Hill's School Nurse, Mrs. Wendy McGregor (email@example.com) or 484.266.1606 if your child is not feeling well. She will work closely with you to determine the next steps for your child.
Please continue to do the Daily Home Screening checklist with your child every day, and follow the guidelines for keeping sick children home.
Call the Safe Arrival line to report your child’s absence. 484 266-1610
Contact your health care provider if your child has symptoms.
Contact the nurse’s office if your child or another person in the household is getting a test for Covid-19. Keep your child home if he/she is waiting for test results or if your child has a known exposure to someone who tests positive for Covid-19.
Nurse: Wendy McGregor RN firstname.lastname@example.org, 484 266-1606
Can my child remote in? We are receiving this question quite a bit. If your child is not feeling well, we encourage your child to rest and we can catch him/her up when back in school. If your child is home because he/she has been exposed to covid-19, has covid-19, or is sick and awaiting the testing results, YES, your child can remote into class during that time IF they are feeling well enough to do so. If your child misses the bus, going on vacation, etc. - then, the answer is no, we are not able to have the students remote in.
FHE Cyber Families - please read
Unite for Her @ Fern Hill
Friday, May 7th, 2021
Please help our school raise money for a great cause: Unite for Her! All donations must be raised online. Please see the attached flyers for more information. Do not forget to order your very own Unite for Her T-Shirt and gear - the deadline is April 20th! Thank you for your helping to fight cancer and make a difference in our community!
Your Heritage in a Week
In May, Fern Hill and the K-5 Cyber Program will host ‘Your Heritage in a Week.' We started this event two years ago and last year moved it virtual. We invite YOU to share your heritage with our students. Please see this Your Heritage in A Day Form (or click button directly below this) for more information and to sign up if you are interested. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Dr. Eberly at email@example.com.
Coulter's Counseling Corner
REMINDER: Parent Drop Off & Pick Up
- Please be sure to pull all the way up.
- Please do not drive around another car.
- Please stay in your car and have your child sitting on the passenger side to exit safely and easily.
Parent Pick Up:
- NEW RULE: WHEN EXITING FHE'S PARKING LOT AND HEADING ONTO THE STREET, PLEASE MAKE A RIGHT HAND TURN. DO NOT TURN LEFT. IT IS TOO DIFFICULT TO SEE WITH ALL OF THE CARS LINED UP WAITING TO PICK UP THEIR CHILD. The West Goshen Police visited this week and this was their suggestion.
- Please be sure to have your name tag visible (if it is on the dash board, when the staff member approaches the car, please pick it up so they can see the name easily).
- Please remind your child(ren) that they should wait patiently in the space designated for them (ABC order).
- Please do not talk on the cell phone while driving/picking up your child.
- If you are on the road waiting to come into the parking lot, please be sure that you are pulled off to the side/bank to keep traffic flowing by on the main street.
The state did not afford districts a waiver this year for PSSA testing. In order for you to mark the calendar, the test dates are as follows:
ELA (grades 3-5)- May 25-27
Math (grades 3-5) - June 1-2
Science (4th only) - June 3 & 4
Cyber and Remote students will be able to come to school to take the assessments. More information will be coming soon.To date, we have not received information regarding opting out. Once we have the information, I will communicate that with our community. Please try to avoid scheduling vacations during the testing window.
Interested in joining Fern Hill's PTO next year?
Are you staying at Fern Hill Elementary next year? Fill out this form by April 23 if you'd like to join our PTO executive board or hear more about our volunteer committees! Your reply will greatly help us plan for next year.
Love awesome programs offered to your students and teachers throughout the year?? We have positions available with different levels of commitment. Don't know where to start? We can tell you more! We will *greatly* miss our Bobcat friends leaving us next year, but also look forward to welcoming new families from Exton Elementary and Glen Acres Elementary. We wish EVERYONE a smooth start to the 2021/2022 school year!
Kindergarten & New Student Registration
Please encourage your friends/neighbors to register ASAP, we use these #s to determine our staffing (number of teachers).
If you or someone you know has a child who is turning 5 before September 1, 2021, it is time to enroll them in kindergarten. Simply go to our district site, www.wcasd.net, and click on the enrollment icon. Please scan all necessary documents if possible: birth certificate, immunizations, health records, dental records and 2 proofs of residency. We will reach out to you to set up an appointment to complete the registration.
All FHE Families – In-Person, Remote, and Cyber
- Fern Hill Yearbook is available for Purchase online!
- Order the 2020-21 Yearbook, use this link: www.treering.com/validate School Passcode: 1015983535492295. The hardcover book is $21. If you are not sure if you have ordered or set up an account, please email Mel Olsen at firstname.lastname@example.org to prevent duplicate orders.
- The book will have ALL FHE Students including cyber so set up an account today and starting adding pictures from this school year to our Shared Photo Files on Treering for you to upload your child(ren)’s photos for the editor to use throughout the book. The book includes all grades and highlights our graduating 5th grade Bobcats.
- Shared Photo Folders include but are not limited to the following:
- Grade – Teacher name (parties/special activities/ZOOM screenshots, etc.)
- Back to School 1st Day Aug 2020 (ALL)
- Back to School Building (whenever your child went to the building)
- Bobcat Sighting On ZOOM and otherwise
- BOBCAT STRONG - All Students should have a picture of themselves doing something that makes them feel strong (Exercising, Having Fun, Being Happy, or Being Kind)
- Halloween Costume 2020 and drive-by of teachers
- Pumpkin Patch Candids
- Snow Day Pictures
- Spirit Week Pictures
- Virtual Concert Pictures
Any questions or trouble uploading pictures, email them to Mel Olsen at email@example.com
**167 students on Treering and 104 books purchased**
WCASD Counseling and Mental Health Professionals Service Guide
We recognize that our students at home may feel isolated. Please know that one of our main goals is to help your children feel connected to their teacher, classroom and Fern Hill! Our district has a Counseling and Mental Health Professionals Service Guide to provide supports and resources if your child is having a difficult time through all of this. This guide provides Counselor and Mental Health Professionals' contact information, services, important forms, and additional resources for parents of students Kindergarten through 12th grade.
The WCASD created a Technology Support site. It is a great one-stop technology trouble shooting page.
Request for Assistance
In an effort to provide additional support for students and parents during remote learning, the district has created a “Request for Academic Assistance” form for each of the WCASD schools. Students, parents and faculty may complete a form on behalf of a student who is struggling with attendance, work completion or social/emotional learning. This form will be reviewed by a member of the Multi-Tiered System of Supports Team (MTSS) to determine the available resources that can be provided. While the form is available, we still recommend reaching out directly to your child's teacher to discuss any concerns.