By Katlyn Grant
Chocolate cream filled donut recipe
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1 whole egg
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3-4 tbsp whole milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or paste (fresh pods work as well)
- Warm up the milk in the microwave (or on the stove) to about 95°F then add it to a bowl on an electric mixer along with the granulated sugar and dry active yeast. Let this mixture sit for 20 minutes until it creates a layer of bubbles or foam on the surface.
- Add the melted butter and egg to the bubbling yeast mixture and stir for a minute or so. Attach the dough hook to the mixer and turn on low speed. Slowly start to add the flour a 1/4 cup at a time. Once all the flour has been added, scrap down the sides of the bowl then continue mixing until the dough has formed into a silky smooth ball. This will take approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Flour the surface of your working surface then take the dough out of the mixture, put into on the floured surface and begin rolling it out. Occasionally flour the top of the dough so it doesn’t stick to the rolling pin. Punch the dough out with a large ring cutter, remove the excess dough, then cover with a damp cloth. Allow the dough to double in size which will take approximately 45 mins to an hour.
- In a small sauce pan on low heat add the milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and sugar and bring up to 160°F making sure to constantly stir as its heat up. Once the it’s reached 160°F add the cornstarch and turn the heat up to low-medium and begin to cook the custard until it get very thick. It should take about 5-6 minutes. Once it has thickened to a pudding consistency turn the heat off and scoop the custard into a piping bag fitted with a metal tip. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add the milk, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Once the dough has doubled in size and is ready to fry fill a pot half way up with canola oil to 350°F, and begin frying the donuts. They’ll take 4-5 minutes to cook and you should flip them at least 2-3 times during the cooking process to insure an evenly cooked donut. Once they’re golden brown remove them from the oil and rest on a few dry paper towels or a wire rack to get rid of any excess grease. Let them cool down for 5-10 minutes before filling and glazing.
- Pull the chocolate cream filling out of the fridge and begin to pipe it into the center of each donut. You’ll have to get a little rough with the donut in order to really fill them up, so don’t be to shy when shoving the tip of the pastry bag into the middle of the fried dough. Next, dip the tops of the warm filled donuts in the vanilla glaze and return them to the wire rack (or paper towels). Let these sit for 10-15 minutes in order for the glaze to set up then ENJOY!!!
It is a round donut with a hole on the side of the donut (the hole is there because you have to get the filling in the donut some how). When you have a bite of the donut you get a flavor of chocolate, vanilla and there's a sweet taste.
websites~ Kitchendaliy.com , Google.com , CIA world fact book.com and Dunk'in donuts.com