Week of: December 10 - December 14
Hard to believe that we have surpassed the 16th week of school and are only staring down two remaining weeks before we meet the mid-year mark! These last two weeks are bound to be full of energy, excitement and lots of learning. With our final day of full MAP testing slated for today, it is imperative that we maintain the expectations in the hallways and classrooms to give all students an optimal testing opportunity. As you finish up testing and results are posted, I urge you to use the valuable data provided in the reports and make plans for acceleration and remediation as it pertains to your students. Please reference the most recent faculty presentation shared by Ms. Hursey regarding MAP reports, etc - If you need assistance please let us know.
With the excitement alive and well the next two weeks, it is important to maintain our PAWS expectations throughout the building. Be sure you are noticing all the great things happening in your class and others - utilize McTickets to reinforce these expectation when they are being met! Additionally, it is important to notice the positive overall classroom behavior and award paws to the respective classes throughout the building that are making their good work known!
With many upcoming opportunities for engagement, there will be additional information to come as we prepare for our Holiday Parties and the logistics surrounding that particular day A few items of interest that you will want to consider as you prepare: ALL staff will park behind the school on the 21st to free up space for parents, we will all enjoy the Holiday Sing Along the morning of the 21st in the cafeteria, lunch will be served prior to your party or directly following (tables will not be accessible in the cafeteria), we will have a plan for the remaining students once all parties have ended.
We have quite a few opportunities this week to engage and see our students in action outside of the classroom, see information below for our first ever drama performance.
Below I have listed a few updates and reminders to activities planned for the weeks ahead:
- Thursday, December 13 - Friday, December 14 - Drama Club Performance - 6pm
- Tuesday, December 18 -ALL Staff Meeting/Holiday Celebration- ALL are invited to attend. Please use this link to sign up to bring a treat: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0849AFA928A6FD0-christmas
- Friday, December 21 - Last Day of School - (Share memo below with parents)
With an intentional focus of consistency on being curious & crazy for kids you will ALWAYS find a culture that is student focused!
Have a WONDERful Week!
Guided Reading & School Improvement
While this is a journey, I have listed a few of the appropriate steps that we will need to continue to implement school-wide so that we are moving collectively in the direction of success as it pertains to increasing the level of literacy of all our students :
Just a few reminders:
- Assessment Kit Teacher’s Guides are located on the School’s Team Drive for your convenience. You can find the Running Record Teacher pages there.
- Running Records should be completed before break.
- Include all lesson plan components when teaching. If you don’t finish a lesson in time, pick that item up the following day. Try not to leave anything out.
- Focus on using data to direct your instruction. (Running Records, sight word assessments, word knowledge inventory, etc.)
- When planning, please use the lesson plan templates provided in the book. Keep in mind that not all portions are meant to be filled out before your lesson, so not every box will need to be filled.
- Strategies and skills by level start in the Appendix at the back of Jan Richardson’s book to use when planning.
- Comprehension is solidified through writing so try not to skip those writing components or writing days.
- Guided Reading is the only true practice at all schools K-5 in Bryan County, so try and implement this practice with fidelity and ask for help if you need it.
Please use this form to list your guided reading times. This link will remain accessible should you have a change in your scheduling.
Making Moves at McAllister
- From Katie Cowart to Ms. Hursey - YOU ROCKED THIS MAP SESSION!! Thanks for all you do to make sure we have everything we need to be successful during the testing window! You work tirelessly and I just want you to know you are loved and appreciated!!!!!! Keep it up ROCKSTAR!!!!!
In a school of over 135 it can be hard to know everyone's name...Have you had a chance to look at the staff directory where pictures of our staff members can be located?
Click this link to see all of the awesome things our teachers have posted on twitter this week. Always remember to use the #MESrocks when posting to keep these items united!