P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
Week at a Glance May 2nd to May 6th
A Message from Mrs. Figueroa
There is no school May 2nd in celebration of Eid-al- Fitr.
May 3rd-May 6th is Teacher Appreciation Week. Here are some ideas of how you can show your child's teacher that you and your child appreciate them:
Please reach out to myself, Mrs. Nartowicz or Mrs. Perez-Fung if you need anything.
🧾Diversity, Equity and Inclusion May Newsletter-- Race & Ethnicity
St. John's University Partnership Award
Back in October, Kindergarten families were introduced to NYC Kids Rise Save for College Program, a partnership with the NYCDOE and the non-profit Kids Rise.
To help families with starting the program and to answer questions about the program, we will be having a virtual workshop on Tuesday, May 3rd at 9:00 a.m. Families are encouraged to attend to get more information about how the program works. Please follow NYC Kids Rise Save for College Program Parent Workshop to let us know if you will be attending the meeting. Below is the Zoom link. The link will be sent out again on Tuesday morning. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
Topic: NYC Kids Rise Save for College Program Parent Workshop
Time: May 3, 2022 09:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 859 8036 0590
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,85980360590#,,,,*471984# US (New York)
Any questions, reach out to Mrs. Perez-Fung @ email@example.com.
💕Kids Heart Challenge💕
Please have your children wear sneakers on May 5th for our culminating event.
📢April Cluster Awards📢
The cluster teachers collaborated, selected one student from each class and presented an award titled “Super Citizen Award” on Friday. The award was presented to students who displayed outstanding citizen qualities, is a dependable student, and had good moral character in the cluster classes. The initiative is to recognize and bring positive attention to the students who are always on, always doing the right thing. Each student was unanimously selected by the cluster team.
NYC Gifted and Talented Program
This process is for K-to-5 G&T programs, which serve children from kindergarten through grade 5.
G&T Admissions for Children Entering Kindergarten in Fall 2022
This varies a bit depending on where (and whether) a child currently attends pre-K.
- For current pre-K students at DOE/district schools, Pre-K Centers, NYC Early Education Centers (NYCEECs), or charter schools:
- In April and May, all children born in 2017 attending in these programs will be evaluated by their current pre-K teachers. There is nothing families need to do as part of this process.
- Based on these evaluations, teachers nominate children for G&T admissions.
- Then, eligibility letters will be sent to all families of nominated children, inviting them to apply to G&T programs when the application opens.
- Families of nominated (eligible) children can apply to G&T between May 31 and June 13 by submitting a G&T application online with MySchools or a Family Welcome Center.(Open external linkor through a Family Welcome Center.
How Kindergarten G&T Offers Are Made
- After all applications are submitted and eligibility is determined, all eligible applicants are considered for offers.
- Offers are determined based on families' application choices, seat availability, and admissions priorities. All G&T programs give an admissions priority to siblings of current students. Some programs also give a priority to applicants who live or attend school in a specific district.
- All applicants will receive a results letter in July 2022; these results may include a G&T offer and any information about waitlists.
Should I Accept My Child's Kindergarten Offer If I Hope to Get a G&T Offer Later?
Be sure to accept your child's kindergarten offer by May 6 even if you are hoping for a waitlist or G&T offer. Accepting this offer secures your child's seat at that school, and accepting it now will not affect your chances of getting a waitlist or G&T offer later.
G&T Admissions for Children Entering Grades 1, 2, or 3 in Fall 2022
- Interested families with children entering grades 1, 2, or 3 can apply this spring to enter G&T programs in fall 2022.
- Apply between May 31 and June 13 by submitting a G&T application online with MySchools(Open external link) or through a Family Welcome Center.
- Eligibility will be determined after families apply––more information on eligibility for children in these grades will be available soon.
How Grade 1-3 G&T Offers Are Made
- Offers for eligible applicants will be determined based on families' application choices, programs' seat availability, and admissions priorities. All G&T programs give priority to siblings of current students. Some programs also give priority to children who live or attend school in a specific district.
- All applicants will receive a results letter in July 2022. This letter may include a G&T offer and any information about waitlists.
Additional information: Please visit Gifted and Talented (nyc.gov).
🌻PTA Sponsored Spring Family Day at P.S. 188Q🌻
COVID At-Home Test Kits
☕Coffee and Conversations☕ Power Power from April 25th
May 3rd to May 6th Teacher Appreciation Week
May 3rd Teacher Appreciation Day; PTA Mother's Day Sale
May 4th PTA Sponsored BMX Bike Show All Grades; SLT meeting 6:30 p.m.
May 5th Kids' Heart Challenge Culminating Event for ALL Grades
May 6th Safety Meeting 7:30 a.m.
May 6th PTA Mother's Day Sale
May 8th Mother's Day
May 10th Parent DEI Committee Meeting 9:30 a.m.
May 11th School Nurse’s Day
May 12th Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa at 10:00 a.m.
May 14th PTA Sponsored Spring Family Day 2:00 p.m.
May 17th Watching TV and Movies Wisely with Mrs. Hollis and Mrs. Perez-Fung 9:30 a.m.
May 18th Incoming 1st grade Virtual Tour of Main Building 9:00 a.m.; PTA Meeting 7:00 p.m.
May 19th Books due to Library
May 20th Last day of Morning Library
May 23rd Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa 10:00 a.m.
May 26th Dancing Classrooms Family Event 5:00 p.m.
May 30th No School Memorial Day
June 1st 1st and 2nd Grade Field Day; SLT 6:30 p.m.
June 2nd PreK and Kindergarten Field Day; P.S. 188Q Art Show 5:30 p.m.
June 3rd Safety Meeting 7:30 a.m.
June 7th No School for students–Clerical Day
June 8th 3rd and 4th Grade Field Day; Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa 10:00 a.m.
June 9th Anniversary Day, Chancellor’s Conference Day for staff development, students do not attend
June 10th 5th Grade Picnic and Field Day at Alley Pond Park
June 13th Kindergarten Parent Virtual Orientation
June 14th PreK Parent Virtual Orientation; DEI Committee Meeting 9:30 a.m.
June 17th 5th Grade Graduation 9:30 a.m. in P.S. 188Q School Yard
June 19th Father's Day
June 20th No School in observance of Juneteeth
June 23rd Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa 10:00 a.m.
June 27th Last Day of School—FULL DAY; Report Cards available on NYSCA