Unit 4 Comedy
8th Grade ELA
Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
a. Apply grade 8 Reading standards to literature (e.g., “Analyze how a modern work of fiction draws on themes, patterns of events, or character types from myths, traditional stories, or religious works such as the Bible, including describing how the material is rendered new”).
b. Apply grade 8 Reading standards to literary nonfiction (e.g., “Delineate and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, assessing whether the reasoning is sound and the evidence is relevant and sufficient; recognize when irrelevant evidence is introduced”)
Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.
Come to discussions prepared, having read or researched material under study; explicitly draw on that preparation by referring to evidence on the topic, text, or issue to probe and reflect on ideas under discussion.
Essential Question and Learning Goal
How do writers and speakers use humor to convey truth?
- Students will understand how to draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
- Students will understand how to use grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrase
- Students will understand how to analyze the purpose of information presented in diverse media
How will students be assessed?
- April 20th: 3-2-1 Exit Slip
- April 22nd: Gallery Walk Notes
- April 26th: Quick Write Response
- April 28th: Written Response
- Teacher will monitor and observe daily
- Skit Performance
- Unit Test
- Tests/Projects (Formal Assessments) 30%
- Homework 10%
- Quizzes 20%
- Classwork (Informal Assessments) 40%
- Assignments must be turned in on time to Edmodo or SpringBoard.
- Last day to turn in missing work: May 6
- For every day that you are absent you get 2 extra days to complete the work.
- If you receive a 70% or lower on a classwork assignment or test you may resubmit to Edmodo to receive a better score.
- SpringBoard Textbook
- Students may schedule a time to meet with Ms. Iazzetto before school or during lunch to get assistance