October 6th, 2023
NGC Update 10/6/23
One More Week in the First Quarter
I hope your student has settled in to life as a freshman in the NGC! We have almost made it to the end of the First Quarter (Thursday 10/13). This is a great time for students to check their progress, continue their routines or make adjustments if needed. If students have established work and study routines and they are working, keep it up! If a student is struggling, please remind them to check in with their teacher more regularly, ask questions out loud or privately, and give their best effort.
Students should be using study hall and FLEX time effectively to complete missing assignments or review notes and information from class so the repetition of information will help them when it comes time for a test or quiz. There is one more week left in the quarter to make improvements, so encourage students to keep working towards turning in all assignments. All of the core classes freshmen are enrolled in are graduation requirements, so performing at their best and earning credit will help prepare them for next year and future years of high school and beyond!
Milford HS uses a quarter based system to determine if students are eligible to participate in athletics and extracurriculars. In order to participate in any extracurricular 2nd quarter, a student must earn at least a 1.5 GPA during the 1st quarter. In addition, athletes must also pass at least 5 full credit courses (everything but PE) during the 1st quarter.
If you have any questions about athletic or extracurricular eligibility, you should contact either the Athletic Director (Mr. Aaron Zupka) or the Director of Arts and Extracurriculars (Mr. Josh Kauffman).
2023-2024 Winter Sports Participation Information
Milford High School fields a variety of winter sports. If you are interested in basketball, swimming, diving ,wrestling, or bowling follow the link below for tryout information.
Extracurricular Event Fan Expectations
My expectations for Ninth Grade Students at games are pretty simple. Be in the stands and be positive. Please do not bring your students to games if they are cannot do this. There are many other places they can hang out with friends. Any student not in the bleachers at events will be asked to leave. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
If you have younger children that attend games they should also be in the stands AND SUPERVISED.
Attendance / Tardies
We are at the point in the school year where some students have started to accumulate excessive absences and tardies. Students with excessive tardies (more than 6) will serve detentions for each time they have an unexcused tardy. Students are considered on time if they are in their classroom when the bell rings at 7:45.
Ohio Law dictates how we handle absences. More information on this can be found here.
Career Readiness Resources
Milford offers a wide variety of career readiness resources. As 9th graders, students are starting to consider which path they might take - Career Technical Education, College, Employment, or Military. All students should start thinking about the career world and where they might best fit. We've put together a Career Readiness Activity to help students start thinking about career pathways. We included a conversation guide to help students and parents/guardians discuss.
- Career Readiness Resources
- Career Assessment Activity
Beyond the resources we have shared in the attachments to this email, we have several upcoming events to help students along their career readiness path.
Events Open to All Grades:
- College Fairs - National College Fair (10/22 @ Duke Energy Center) & Clermont County Counselors College Fair (10/26 @ Eastgate Mall)
- Great Oaks Coffee Chats - Flyer
- Job Readiness Workshops: Keep an eye out for our job readiness workshops. These Flex presentations will be focused on helping students develop job readiness tools and skills so you'll be ready for the 'real world' when you graduate. We will cover Resume Building, Job Interviews, LinkedIn, Finding Success in Your First Job & more! Students will sign up in FlexTime.
- Career Counseling Flex: Open to all grades- Students can join Mrs. Emmons during Flex once per month to complete a career assessment and talk 1:1 with Mrs. Emmons and in a small group about their results. We will discuss not only the career assessments, but explore career fields, outlooks for certain jobs, and consider how the career exploration process relates to college planning, job readiness, and developing soft skills for success.