Welcome Back, YWLA Families!
Information for the 2022-23 school year
A Note from Principal Burns
It's going to be a great year at YWLA and in GPISD! We have an amazing staff of teachers, counselors, front office staff, nurses, and administrators who are ready to get back into a new school year and welcome our students!
Each year, I have three primary goals for our students: Safety, academics, and SEL. When we take care of these things, we're in for a great year...
- Safety of students and staff is at the forefront of all our minds, and at YWLA, we will continue to ensure we follow all safety protocols to maintain a safe environment. More information is in a section below.
- How you can help: Be sure your student wears her school ID each and every day. Always have your license/ID ready if you want to enter the building.
- Preliminary STAAR/EOC data shows we made gains during the previous school year, and I know we'll continue to make gains for the upcoming school year because of our hardworking YWLA staff. We want your student to have every opportunity available, and a great education is key.
- How you can help: Check Skyward and Canvas for assignments and grades. Talk to your student about classes, school, homework, etc. Communicate with teachers if you have a question.
SEL (Social-emotional learning)
- While academics are important, we also know the importance of students' SEL and helping them continue to develop emotional intelligence. We will continue to have Advisory lessons that include Mindfulness Monday, Tech Tuesday, Wellness Wednesday, and Future Friday. We're also responsive to student needs, and we address things as they arise; our social worker and our counselors are amazing and will do whatever is needed to support your student.
- How you can help: Monitor your student's social media. Talk to your student about how she is doing with school, friends, etc. If you notice any changes in behavior, follow up with your student and with the campus if necessary. Reach out to our counselors and social worker; we have resources and can support you and your student.
We're very excited to welcome our students back next week and to work alongside you to create a successful year. Below you'll find some important information as you prepare for next week. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to the campus at 972-343-7400; we'll be happy to help.
Have a great day, and I'll see all my students on Monday, August 15, 2022
--Janna Burns, Principal
- First day of school is Monday, August 15, 2022
- Students need to bring their fully charged iPads each day
- Students need to wear their IDs each day and be in dress code
- Doors open at 8:00
- Class starts a 8:50
- School ends at 4:15
- If you haven't completed registration, be sure to go online and register: https://www.gpisd.org/registration
Safety and Security
- All visitors must present ID and must be granted access by YWLA staff prior to entering the building. If you need to visit with staff, please make an appointment.
- Visitors are only to enter through Door #1.
- All staff and students must wear ID each day.
- Classroom doors are to remain locked and closed.
- Exterior doors are to remain locked and closed. During arrival and dismissal, doors are monitored by staff.
- Monthly drills are done to ensure reaction is second-nature in the event of an emergency.
Drop Off/Pick Up
Parent Drop Off/Pick Up
- Doors open at 8:00 each morning.
- Parent drop off is in the back of the building, near the cafeteria.
- Once at the back of the building, the outside lanes are for drop off/pick up, and the middle lane is for through traffic.
- Teacher parking lot is not for drop off/pick up.
- Be aware of pedestrians and of staff members who are directing traffic.
- The bus loop is in the front of the building and is for buses only.
- No parent traffic is permitted. This will help ensure the safety of our students who are loading/unloading GPISD buses.
See the picture below for more information.
- No hoodies
- Black pants or our official red/black plaid skirt are acceptable; skirt can be purchased at Levine's (see information below)
- No jeans, tights, leggings, or shorts
- Shoes can be red/black/white or a combination of those colors
See below for additional information.