Green Revolution and GMO's
By: Sydnee Henderson
Answers to the Questions
Results: Four million people died of hunger that year alone.
2. Continued expansion of farming areas - they expanded their farming areas to increase the amount of livestock and crops to feed people.
Double-cropping existing farmland - farming two consecutive crops on the same land within a single growing season to produce more food.
Using seeds with improved genetics - they genetically modified the seeds to be able to live linger and produce more crops.
3. It made India one of the world's biggest agricultural producers and also an exporter of food grains around that time.
4. 3 Economic. - growth of the local manufacturing sector creating jobs; increase in irrigation created dams and improved the life of the people in villages; Canada asked the Indian government to supply them with farmers experienced in the methods of the Green Revolution.
3 Sociological - created jobs for industrial workers; created jobs for lateral facilities; created jobs and new life's for the ones who moved to Canada.
3 Political - transformed itself from a starving nation to an exporter of food; earned admiration for India in the comity of nations; made Mrs. Indira Gandhi and her party a very political force in India.
5. Limitation 1 - India has failed to extend the concept of high-yield value seeds to all crops or all regions. In terms of crops, it remains largely confined to grains only, not to all kinds of agricultural produce.
Limitation 2 - The Green Revolution cannot be considered to be 100% success becuase it did not improve some places like Kalahandi.
Pictures Relating to The Green Revolution in India
Positives and Negatives
1. Better overall quality and taste.
2. More resistant to disease.
3. More nutrition benefits.
4. Reduced need for pesticides and herbicides.
5. Increase production of food.
1. Environmental damage.
2. There is no economic value.
3. A growth in allergic reactions in the general population.
4. Super bugs and super weeds.
5. Reduces genetic diversity.