TMS BLIF Update
November 13, 2015
You will also have the 2 days before Thanksgiving Break
Cord checks began the week of 11/09/15.
7th grade -Tuesday, November 17, 2015
8th grade - Tuesday, November 23, 2015
6th Grade-Tuesday, November 30, 2015
Checks will be held in first block but not during homeroom.
- Students with damaged cords should go to the MC, where our Tech Assistant (Danette Brooks, who is only here on Tuesday mornings) will write up the damage form.
PBL Weekly Warm-up: Should Retail Stores Open On Thanksgiving Day?
PBL Weekly Warm-up: Should retail stores open on Thanksgiving Day? A number of major retailers (Wal-Mart and Target, to name a couple) are hoping to extend "Black Friday" by opening their doors on Thanksgiving Day. The reasons are sound enough: it's what the consumers want, it will help keep order and increase safety on the actual Black Friday, and it provides employees the opportunity to earn double their normal pay. However, there are many people who feel that turning Thanksgiving into another retail day is not such a great thing (especially if you're one of those employees who has to rush to work just as the family was planning to cut the turkey).Here's a link to this exercise: http://www.pblproject.com/page.aspx?pageid=PBL-ww-Thanksgiving
PD available through HomeBase
Three, self-paced modules based on action research projects developed by teachers for teachers through the Governor’s Teacher Network (GTN) are now available through the Home Base PD System. These modules showcase actual instructional techniques piloted in classrooms across the state. For a complete description of these online modules, visit http://rt3nc.org/.
Flipped Classrooms: Action Research from the GTN Project
The Reading and Writing Connection: Action Research from the GTN Project
Literacy Strategies in the Math Classroom: Action Research from the GTN Project
**There are also self-paced modules at http://rt3nc.org/. Here is a list of some you might enjoy:
Assessing Digital Tools
Connecting with our 21st Century Learner
Global Awareness, Diversity and Cultural Sensitivity in the Classroom
Universal Design for Learning (also a webinar opportunity!)
Documenting and Reflecting with iMovie
Documenting and Reflecting with iMovie: TNL #12861
Discover how to use the powerful features of iMovie to enhance personal learning by fostering digital
storytelling, creative collaboration, and reflective sharing.
One 3-hour session in ONE location this time
January 19, 2016: 1:00-4:00 @ ADR SD2 (a workday)
Centering Equity: Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Classroom
In this webinar, participants will:
Explore key characteristics of culturally responsive and sustaining practices;
Discuss the importance of utilizing culturally responsive and sustaining practices in creating learning environments supportive of all students;
Examine the qualities of culturally responsive and sustaining learning environments; and
Apply Culturally Responsive and Sustaining Practices to an example classroom lesson.
Just For Fun
99 Reasons Teachers Rock 16-20
16. Teachers aren’t afraid to get down, like Mr. Duey’s Long Division Rap.
17. Teachers smile, even when they have piles of papers to grade, hundreds of emails to check, a red light signaling voicemails to listen to, and hundreds of students who need them. ~ LyzaJo Jorgensen
18. 71% of teachers are women. Let’s hear it for the ladies! (TMS loves it's men teachers too!)
19. Teachers are masterful at seeming to know every answer to every conceivable question a student could have (and at making “teachable moments” when you don’t know the answer)
20. Teachers will do anything to win. Just watch this video of a PD Team Building Game to see teachers’ competitive juices flowing.