What is Nuclear Proliferation?
Nuclear Proliferation is the spread of nuclear and high-power weapons around the world.
World map of states that have nuclear programs/weapons.
- Red- States with confirmed nuclear weapons according the NPT (Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty)
- Orange- States known to have nuclear weapons
- Purple- States no longer possessing nuclear weapons
- Tan- States suspected of developing nuclear programs/weapons
- Blue- States That formally possessed nuclear programs/weapons
- Pink- States that own nuclear weapons but haven't adopted them
What is the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty?
The Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT) is a treaty signed on the 1st of July 1968. It's plan is to stop the proliferation, or the rapid increase in number, of nuclear programs/weapons around the world. It also pushes for more cooperative uses of nuclear energy.
World Map of NPT States
- Light Blue- States endorsing to the NPT
- Dark Blue- States approved according the NPT
- Light Green- Other endorsed states
- Dark Green- Other approved or to-be approved states
- Red- States signed onto the NPT
- Orange- Withdrawn from the NPT (North Korea)
- Yellow- State unrecognized by the NPT but abiding by the treaty (Taiwan)