April 18, 2014
Staffing Changes for the 2014-2015 School Year
- Lisa will be teaching kindergarten.
- Sue and Katie Y. will be teaching 3rd grade.
- Doug will be teaching 4th grade with Kathy.
- Vicki and Maggie will be teaching 5th grade.
- Katie S. has decided to wait for a split in possibly 4th or 6th grade.
- Janet is going to stay in the 1st/2nd grade bilingual classroom and we will be interviewing for the ELL resource position. Donna McCash will be moving back to the Title I TA position.
- Stephanie Delgrosso will be working with Willow Creek and Goodrich, so we will have a new instructional coach that will be working with Meadowview and Murphy.
- As a reminder, Kathy Janowiak resigned in December and Becky Vascik is now Pat Broncato's secretary.
Grade Level Meetings
Grade level teams across the district will meet for a half day in late April to discuss literacy and share Common Core Math Curriculum resources and needs. "B" Week activities may need to be rescheduled in order to accommodate this schedule. Substitutes will be provided via the Office of Teaching and Learning.
ELL and Special Education staff members will be invited to these meetings based on the grade level assignments listed in the Master Calendar document.
- 8:00- 11:00 First Grade
- 12:30-3:30 Second Grade
- 8:00- 11:00 Third Grade
- 12:30-3:30 Fourth Grade
- 8:00- 11:00 Fifth Grade
- 12:30-3:30 Sixth Grade
Next Generation Science Standards
This past Monday, I attended a presentation on the Next Generation Science Standards along with Melissa L, Kathy, and Maggie. We learned about the instructional shifts/changes in science education. The newest science and engineering practices will require students to:
- Ask Questions and Define Problems
- Develop and Use Models
- Plan and Carry Out Investigations
- Analyze and Interpret Data
- Use Mathematics and Computational Thinking
- Construct Explanations and Design Solutions
- Engage in Argument from Evidence
- Obtain, Evaluate, and Communicate Information
For more information, please go to the Next Generation Science Standards website. No major changes will occur next year. We will ease into this. :)
Notes and Reminders
- We will be holding a tornado drill this Monday, April 21st at 9:30am. Please review procedures for this and let me know if you have any questions.
- The spring conferences are not optional. They are required and will be held as outlined below. We will have a conference scheduling meeting for certified staff on Tuesday, April 22nd from 3:00-3:30pm. Please plan to attend.
- If you are planning on taking a personal day, please let us know as soon as possible. Three-day advance notice is required, but not preferred. In order to secure a sub, we'd prefer to know as soon as possible. Thank you!
- End of year data reviews are TENTATIVELY scheduled for Tuesday, May 27th. Please use a pencil when marking this in your calendar. We'll let you know once a schedule is confirmed.
- The End of Year PARCC Assessment for many 3rd and 6th grades is TENTATIVELY scheduled for May 13th and May 15th. Again, use pencil for that one, too. :)
- Many of you have wonderful suggestions for our master schedule. We are beginning to look at scheduling for next school year. Please feel free to email me any suggestions. As you know, there are dozens of factors considered when creating the master schedule and all suggestions may not be able to be accommodated. Your feedback is appreciated!!!
- Please continue to take notes and post them during mid-day collaboration. Some teams are using Google Docs, while others are emailing the minutes, and others are using PD 360. Please feel free to use the format you so choose.
- We will be sorting/clustering classes for next year at our May 16th School Improvement Day. Directions will follow.
Monday, April 21st - Tornado Drill 9:30am
Monday, April 21st - Monday Meeting for ALL Staff
Monday, April 21st - 6th Grade Parent Meeting 6:30pm - Jefferson Junior High
Tuesday, April 22nd - Conference Scheduling Meeting for CERTIFIED Staff 3:00pm-3:30pm
Wednesday, April 23rd - 6th Grade Visits Jefferson Junior High 8:40am-10:45am
Thursday, April 24th - Open House/Ice Cream Social in the Evening - Meadowview
Friday, April 25th - Preschool Screening
Saturday, April 26th - Young Authors Conference 9:00am-12:30pm - Jefferson Junior High
Monday, April 28th - School Board Meeting 7:30pm - Jefferson Junior High
Tuesday, April 29th - Second Year Band Tour 1:15pm - Meadowiew Gym
Wednesday, April 30th - First Grade Field Trip to Brookfield Zoo
Thursday, May 1st - EARLY DISMISSAL Parent/Teacher Conferences 3:00pm-8:00pm
Friday, May 2nd - NO SCHOOL Parent/Teacher Conferences 11:00am-4:00pm
Monday, May 5th - Buffalo Wild Wings Restaurant Fundraiser
Wednesday, May 7th - DARE Graduation for Grades 4-6 10:00-11:00am
Wednesday, May 7th - 1st/2nd Grade Musical and 5th/6th Gr. Chorus Assembly 1:15pm
Wednesday, May 7th - 1st/2nd Grade Musical and 5th/6th Chorus Concert PM - JJH
Thursday, May 8th - 6th Grade Field Trip to Chicago Symphony Orchestra 9:00am-12:15pm
Thursday, May 8th - Talent Show Tryouts 3:00pm-5:00pm
Thursday, May 8th - PTO Meeting 7:00pm - Meadowview LRC
Friday, May 9th - Pro Kids Assembly 1:00pm
Friday, May 9th - Family Night (Pro Kids Presentation) - Jefferson Junior High
Tuesday, May 13th - Market Day Pick-Up 5:00pm
Tuesday, May 13th - Thursday, May 15th - Book Fair
Thursday, May 15th - Family Reading Night/Book Fair
Friday, May 16th - NO SCHOOL Teacher Inservice
Friday, May 16th - 6th Grade DARE Lock-in 7:00pm - Jefferson Junior High
Monday, May 19th - School Board Meeting 7:30pm - Jefferson Junior High
Tuesday, May 20th - Talent Show Practice 3:00pm-5:00pm
Thursday, May 22 - Talent Show Practice 3:00pm-5:00pm
Friday, May 23rd - Volunteer Appreciation Dinner in the Evening
Monday, May 26th - NO SCHOOL Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 27th - Talent Show Dress Rehearsal 3:00pm-5:00pm
Wednesday, May 28th - Meadowview Talent Show 1pm
Thursday, May 29th - Last Day of After School Clubs
Friday, May 30th - Student Council/Patrol Field Trip
Here are this week's colleague to colleague bucket fillers...
- Anne, thanks for the delicious mid-week snack. Definitely brightened up our day. You are an awesome baker! - Vicki
- Doug, congrats on the new car and for also having a positive attitude!
- Rosemary, you brighten my day like sunshine!
- To Michele and Lisa - Thank you for always working with me on my questions! You are true professionals. Donna M.