By: Sharia Hoyle
My name is Sharia and I'm a sophomore at F.L. Schlagle High school. I'm doing my project over the purpose of dreaming. I expect to learn what the purpose of dreaming is and I also want to learn what are the different types of dreams.
Different Stages of Sleep
We pass through 5 stages of sleep
- Stage 1- In this stage you drift in and out of sleep. Your eyes are still slowly moving and your muscle activity starts to slow down.
- Stage 2- In this stage your eyes stop moving and your brain waves slow down.
- Stage 3- This stage is characterized by delta waves and you become less aware of your environment.
- Stage 4- In this stage you become in a deep sleep and it's hard to be awaken. There is no eye movement or muscle activity.
- REM ( Rapid Eye Movement)- Your eyes jerk rapidly and your muscles become paralyzed. This is the stage where most dreams occur.
Data From Survey
This is the data I collected from the survey I created about dreams. What this data told me is that everyone does dream and they've also have dreams that they've tried to finish. It also told me that some people don't know what lucid dreaming is. Most people don't have nightmares after they watch a scary movie. A lot of people also want to know what their dreams mean.
Theories of Why We Dream
These are some theories of why we dream
- A form of memory processing
- The brain responding to biochemical changes and electrical impulses that occur during sleep.
- Aristotle and Plato hypothesize that dreaming is a way to act out unconscious desires in a safe or unreal setting.