Saranac High School Counseling News
Never a dull moment here in the counseling office!
We completed our initial senior meetings with all ninety-six seniors. However, we continue to work with our seniors as they narrow down their options, apply to college, take a final ACT or SAT and submit financial aid. It can be a stressful time for them, but please encourage your child not to wait or put-off college applications.
We administered both the PSAT and the PreACT with success! When score reports come in we will meet with all of the juniors, regardless of whether or not they took an exam, and discuss college entrance exams and college planning. This usually takes place in December or January.
Financial Aid and Scholarship Night
Junior Parent Night
Five students attended the Youth Empowerment Summit on October 15th. There they learned about building relationships with peers, how to help those who are suicidal and how to be leaders in a challenging world.
Students and staff celebrated Unity Day and the fight against bullying on October 23rd.
Kudos to our Art Department for making our hallways look so amazing!
On Monday, October 28th Mrs. Brown graciously welcomed us into her health classes to discuss:
- mental health
- resources in the building
- New York State high school statistics:
- 1 in 4 has a diagnosable anxiety disorder
- 1 in 5 has a diagnosable disorder other than anxiety
- 1 in 6 have contemplated suicide
- 17% have seriously considered suicide in the last 30 days with 8.6 of those students making a plan
- coping skills or stress relievers because even if we do not experience a diagnosable disorder we all experience stress.
Will will send out a follow up email shortly informing you of a great resource: Calm App.
Fall Family Challenge - Five Practical Methods to Increase Happiness
Shawn Achor is a researcher and teacher of positive psychology. Shawn's research has found that the happier people are the more successful they are. Accept this twenty-one day challenge by diving into these ideas below:
- Writing down or saying out lout three things that you are grateful for each day.
- Two minutes of journaling about a single positive experience with three details.
- Exercising for fifteen minutes a day.
- Getting people to watch their breath go in and out for two minutes.
- Getting people to take two minutes to send a positive email thanking or praising a different person each day.
SUNY Plattsburgh Open House
SUNY Plattsburgh's upcoming Fall Open House is Saturday, November 16th. This program will include an admissions presentation, academic and student services fairs, access to financial aid professionals, and campus tours.
Open House is an excellent opportunity for local students and their families to interact with a wide range of higher education professionals (a valuable experience even for students who may be planning to go away to school). Academic information sessions will be offered by faculty in many program areas, including art, business, biology, education, computer science, nursing, and psychology (just to name a few).
11/2/19: SAT *Please note there is a change in location and this test will be given at Stafford Middle School not Plattsburgh High School.
11/4/19: Financial Aid Night 5:30pm
11/6/19: Junior Parent Night 6:00pm
11/25/19: Parent Teacher Conferences 3:30-7:30pm
11/26/19: Parent Teacher Conferences 8:00-11:00am
12/7/19: SAT (registration deadline is November 8th www.collegeboard.org)
12/14/19: ACT (registration deadline is November 8th www.act.org)
Spring SAT and ACT dates can be found at the websites listed above if you would like to know in advance.