June Faculty Meeting
News & Notes
Some minor revisions were made to our APPR Plan. Those changes are reflected in the version that is now posted on Infinite Campus under the APPR tab for all teachers under 3012-d to review. From this point forward, the complete APPR will be available through Infinite Campus.
There are over 170,000 apps designed specifically for education.2 Connect iPad to a microscope to capture, edit, and save video and time-lapse images of cell division. Use the camera and microphone to take photos and record sound effects to personalize flashcards for more memorable study. Or rotate iPad for a 360-degree view of the Great Pyramids of Giza. In addition, apps and services you or your students might already use, like Google Docs, Google Drive, Microsoft Office, and Dropbox, work great on iPad.
Notes on Backing Up Your iPad
From: Suzanne Dwyer:
This summer we will be remotely removing all programs, apps, data, photos, etc. from ALL district-issued iPads. This is a necessary step as we begin moving to a more robust, teacher-friendly, iPad management system. Moving to this new system is a huge undertaking and we would not be taking these steps if we did not believe that there would be a significant improvement to our iPad users by doing so. Moving from one management system to another automatically wipes all the data off the iPads. There is no other way to accomplish the task. Once the move to our new management system begins, all District-owned iPads will restart and users may be prompted to log into the device using the district username and password. You will then need to download and install any personal and/or professional apps you may want or require.
We urge you to backup all necessary personal and/or professional documents, photos and data that you would like to keep. You can use any cloud service you choose to ensure proper backup. Google Drive, Dropbox, Google Photos and iCloud are all popular choices. Attached are some documents and links you can refer to in order to ensure proper retention of your files.
If you need additional assistance, please contact your school’s Instructional Assistant(s) for help. Instructional Assistants will be available until June 29th to assist you if necessary.
What does not need to be backed up:
Anything in Google (Google Drive, photos, apps, mail, calendar, etc)
Anything in Dropbox
Anything in eBackpack, Moodle, Google Classroom, Edmodo
Everything else should be backed up. Examples of app data to back up include the following: Notability, Comic Life, CamScanner, Aurasma, Book Creator, Explain Everything, Quizlet , Pic Collage, Keynote, Pages, Numbers, iPhoto, iMovie.
This is not an all-inclusive list so PLEASE check your apps and back them up!
Here is a link to some documents that can assist you in backing up some of our most used Apps. Or, you can copy and paste the link below to access the same documents.
Please be sure to back-up all files that are stored in the H-Drive. We have been told that the H-Drive (My Documents) will be cleared this summer.
- Evaluate the results of the Youth Development Survey and create programs which are targeted and responsive to community needs.
- Further develop and strengthen OMS's commitment to ADL's Stand Up to Hate Movement.
- Continue to provide platforms for students to conceptualize, design, and fabricate products in an effort to promote student access to the STEAM fields.
- Build upon the momentum generated in 2015-2016 to support ICT partnerships and instructional models that support student learning.
Inquiry & Action in the Classroom
- Continue to promote inquiry and discovery across the disciplines.
- Design and implement a program which supports student curation of their most representative work.
Instructional Design & Technology
- Building from our 2016-2017 professional development plan, examine the ways in which the implementation of technology supports and strengthens sound instructional practice.
Study Grading Models
- Organize a study on grading practices used in middle schools throughout the country.
Applications are now open for the New Teacher Mentoring Program. Here in Oceanside, we provide a unique mentoring opportunity to our non-tenured, probationary teachers to receive support from accomplished teachers, while adhering to the NYSED Mentoring Guidelines.
Mentoring a new teacher is a wonderful way to share your expertise, continue to grow as a professional, and help develop the next generation of teachers.
Oceanside’s Mentoring Program is cutting edge. Mentors have reported renewed job satisfaction and have shared that the perks of new teacher mentoring include:
- Engaging in leadership activities with a community of learners,
- Training opportunities to lead professional development in your specialty,
- Encouraging new teachers to be the best teacher they can,
- Contributing to the professional community in a meaningful way (Domain 4),
- Developing leadership in core areas of Danielson domains.
Mentors should be:
- Committed to students and their learning,
- Knowledgeable about the subject they teach and how to teach that subject to students,
- Responsible for managing and monitoring student learning,
- Thinking systematically about teaching practice and learning from reflection,
- A member of a learning community, and
- Working at Oceanside for at least 5 years.
If you feel like your practice embodies most of the ideals above, you would make a great mentor, and we will provide training to make sure you are prepared for this responsibility.
Any teacher interested in mentoring a new teacher during the upcoming 2016-2017 school year must indicate their interest through this applicationhttp://goo.gl/forms/5lyrBqe53RQ5LQqt2. If you have served as a Mentor at any time in the past, you must still submit an application. Further details are attached for your information.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION IS JUNE 30, 2016
Apple Distinguished Educators Exploration
We have had six teachers reach out to express interest in researching and examining the ways in which their work might fit within the Apple Distinguished Educators Program. If anyone else is interested, please reach out to me for more information. I will add a "course" to My Learning Plan at some point in the coming weeks. (DK)
As a means to support those investigating this program, I will be helping to create a TCH Team through the Teaching Channel. Participation in the TCH Team could provide six additional hours of professional development for the coming year. (DK)