GWMS Weekly Bulletin
September 19, 2016
Wahawk Core Values
Excellence / Learning / Caring / Community / Respect
GWMS Mission Statement
To develop each student's learning potential in a caring environment.
Wahawk Core Rules
Ask Questions / Listen / Try / Do Your Best / Be On Time / Be Prepared / Get Help
Student Reflections: September 20th
During homebase on Tuesday, September 20th, your student will be completing a reflection about how he/she is doing in school. This is a communication tool between home and school that promotes the student's voice, empowering the student to reflect on his/her learning and then share that reflection with parents as well as the homebase teacher. You will receive a copy of your student's reflection through email. The email will appear to be from Mark Burns (email@example.com) as the sender. We hope your student's reflection will provide insight into their academic performance and experience at school. In addition, we hope this communication tool can foster meaningful conversations about school with your student. Students will be completing a reflection 6 times during the school year.
Save-A-Date: Fall Parent-Teacher-Student Conferences
Fall Parent-Teacher-Student Conferences will be held on the following dates:
Monday, Oct. 17th from 3:00-7:45 PM
Wednesday, Oct. 19th from 3:00-7:45 PM
Thursday, Oct. 20th from 7:15-11:45 AM
By Appointment Only
Please look for a detailed letter in the mail the last week of September. The letter will include all information you need to sign up for conference times.
Keep Students Safe!
Stay Up-to-Date with Sports Schedules!
GWMS Renaissance Program
The Renaissance Program at GWMS recognizes students for their academic success and good character traits! One way that students are recognized is through the business partner Renaissance cards and t-shirts! Students are recognized at the end of each trimester for their academic success. Based upon their grades, students earn a business card and a t-shirt (one t-shirt per year & a new business card each trimester). Students who earn all A's are on the blue level, students who earn all A's & B's earn the white level, and students who earn all A's, B's, & C's earn the bronze level. Students this week received their Renaissance t-shirt and business card based upon the grades from trimester 3 of the 2015-16 school year! A huge thanks to the following businesses for their support:
The River Museum
Hy-Vee on Locust
Big Apple Bagels
House of China
The Shot Tower
Nails for U
Mystique Ice Center
The Kalon Salon
Molly's Silver Screen Canteen
Olliwood Action Sports
Without these businesses offering discounts and/or free items, we could not offer the program! A huge thanks to Plane Art Designs for creating and partnering with us for a fantastic looking t-shirt!
354 of our current 7th and 8th graders received Renaissiance - Way to go Wahawks!!!!
7th Graders Scheduled for Hearing Screenings
All seventh grade students are scheduled for hearing screenings on January 25, 27, and 30th, with a recheck date of February 13.
Health Services for Children at Kids Expo on October 8th!
Get Involved & Show Your Spirit with the Washington PTO!
The 2016-2017 school year at GWMS is off to a great start! One way to make it even better is for parents and guardians to get involved with the Wash Parent Teacher Organization ("PTO"). Studies show that students whose parents or guardians partner with their local PTO are more likely to be successful in school including regular attendance, more challenging coursework, and achieving better grades.
Below are just a few additional reasons to join the Wash PTO:
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening at GWMS;
- Discover Great Resources. The GWMS PTO offers a variety of programs designed for parents and guardians as well as students;
- Tap into a Network. PTO provides opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, build rapport and discuss issues that are on your mind;
- Watch Yourself Grow. By volunteering with your PTO, you put your skills and hobbies to use for a noble cause—your child and all children in the community;
- Speak Up. PTO can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at GWMS;
- Witness Improvement. By getting involved at GWMS you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. The GWMS PTO historically has played an important role by supporting building improvements through advocacy and fundraising for curriculum-based programs, extra-curricular programs such as Band,Orchestra and VPA and social events (PTO puts on GWMS dances three times per year); and
- Be a Role Model. By becoming a PTO member, you’ll be you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.
EASY ways in which you may become involved with the GWMS PTO:
1. Attend a meeting: our first meeting of the year is on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 6:30 pm in the LRC. Meetings are on the third Tuesday of each month (with a few exceptions for conferences and holidays) and will not last more than an hour. Come to one or come to all as your schedule permits!
2. Support our fundraiser: 100% of fundraiser proceeds benefit GWMS. We are delighted to offer the sale of discount cards again this year. Please look for paperwork describing the cards to come home with your child on Wednesday, September 7. The selling period will run from the 7th through the 21st of September and offers great prizes for students including gift cards to Dick's Sporting Goods!! WE ALSO GLADLY ACCEPT TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS!! Our goal is to raise $10,000 to provide classroom basics (reduced due to state budget cuts), support music and art programs and promote school spirit with school dances and fieldwork (e.g, performances at the University of Dubuque, trips to the National Mississippi River Museum).
3. Order apparel: please go to http://washspirit.itemorder.com to order t-shirts and sweatshirts with GWMS logos. We offer a variety of materials and sizes and some fun throw-back logos!! Online orders will be accepted through September 16 and balances may be paid by credit card. We also have some items available via cash and carry (see photos below): GRAY Gildan 100% cotton tshirts in sizes youth medium to adult X-Large for $10 each, GRAY Jerzees Nublend Cotton Pullover Sweatshirts in sizes youth medium to adult 2X-Large ($25 each - please add $2 for size 2X-Large), and water bottles for $10 (clear BPA-free plastic and adhering to Wash water bottle guidelines). Please print an order form by clicking here and send in your order with a check made out to PTO to the GWMS office. Below are samples of the logos being used this year. More styles/color online!
2016-2017 GWMS PTO Board and Committee Chairs:
Amy Jacobson Daly
Questions - please send email to PTO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Policy: Students to Wear IDs
Follow GWMS on Social Media
Follow GWMS and All the Houses on Facebook!!!
Many families have liked GWMS Wahawks on Facebook. Did you know that each house has a Facebook page too? That's right! You can follow your student's house on Facebook. Be sure to LIKE your student's house Facebook page today.
GWMS House Facebook Pages:
GWMS House 6-1 Pioneers
GWMS House 6-2 Crew
GWMS House 7-1 Sherpas
GWMS House 7-2 Stingrays
GWMS House 8-1 Knights
GWMS House 8-2 Dragons