"The horn of Africa" By: Camden Chatterton
- In 1960 the republic of Somalia was formed by an Italian colony and a British protectorate
- Mohamed Siad Barre was the dictator from October 1969 to January 1991
- The UN re-named the country of, Italian Somalilan, to Somalia
Somalia has had a lot of problems with terrorism. The group that goes by the name of Al-Shabaab is the main threat.
Ethnicity and Culture geography
Official Languages - Somali and Arabic
- Non-Somali ethnic minorities make up about 15% of the nations population
- Islam and Christianity
I think a future goal that Somalia should have is to up their security. They seem to have a lot of crime problems in the country as i was researching stuff. They could also up their military. All of the terrorism going on in the country is making it go downhill, even though it was a poorer country in the first place.
- Somali pirates sail on the coast try to find ships to hi-jack and have bad ways to try to find money.
- Pirates do airdrops. Airdrops are when the pirates take hostages and ask for money. If they don't get the money from the enemy then they will sometimes kill the hostage.
- Pirates made about $400 million in 2015.
What the flag means
The five-pointed white star in the middle stand as the, Star of Unity. The five points represent the Somali ethnic group found in Djibouti, the Ogaden region in Ethiopia, the North Eastern Province in Kenya, and the former British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland. Blue was the color of the United Nations so that's why the flag is blue.