Why does child abuse occur?
Child: A human being who is under the age of 18
What is child abuse?
When a parent.......
- Causes or threatens to cause a physical injury except for an accident
- Abandons the child
- Fails to provide clothing, food, or supervision necessary for a child's age or level of development
- Commits, or allows to be committed, any illegal sexual act involving the child
More Background information
- Most people agree that causing serious physical harm to a child qualifies as abuse
- But others see it as an appropriate form of discipline when conducted within reasonable limits
Why does this happen? (CAUSE)
There is no easy answer to this question, because many factors are involved. However, child abuse is most likely to occur when parents are struggling with......
- Bad/painful childhood
- Inexperience with children
- unrealistic expectations
- Anger/other emotions
Effect on Families
- It can break families apart
- Mixed emotions
- Difficulty sleeping
"Child Abuse." Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection. Detroit: Gale, 2014. Web. 9 Dec. 2015.
"Effects of Child Abuse and Neglect." Joyful Heart Foundation. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2015.
"N.y./region: A Failure to Protect." NYTimes.com Video Collection 2011. Opposing Viewpoints in Context, n.d. Web. 9 Dec. 2015.
"Prevention Facts." Prevent Child Abuse Virginia. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Dec. 2015.
ReMoved. Dir. Nathanael Matanick. Perf. Abby White. Jaw-Dropping Short Film Shines Light On Child Abuse, Foster Care System. Huffington Post, Inc., 20 Mar. 2014. Web. 18 Dec. 2015.
"Why Does Child Abuse Happen." Queensland Government. N.p., n.d. Web.