A poison is any substance that is harmful or lethal to a living organism. The 4 ways that poisons can enter the body are, breathing in the toxic fumes, absorbing them through the skin, swallowing them, and/or entering the body through bites, stings, or needles.
Signs and Symptoms
Common symptoms Include: Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, difficulty in breathing, headaches, weakness, changes in heart rate pattern, watering of the eyes, confusion, and impaired consciousness. If the exposure had been to the skin the person may also complain of swelling, rashes, redness and itching. You should suspect poisoning if there are any empty containers for medicines or chemicals near the poisoned person, or if there is a strange smell.
First Aid Steps
- Ensure the scene is safe to enter
- Check for consciousness and breathing
- Care for life-threatening conditions
- Collect evidence about the possible poison ask questions if the victim is conscious
- Call the National Poison Control Center Hotline @ 1-800-222-1222
- Follow the directions given by the Poison Control dispatcher
- Do not give the victim anything to eat or drink unless instructed by the Poison Control dispatcher or EMS personnel.
- Continue to monitor ABC's and care for life threatening conditions
- Always keep the medicine in their original containers
- Check the label before taking any medicine to make sure you are taking the right thing
- Dispose any unused, expired, or unneeded prescription drugs
- Monitor the use of medicines prescribed for teenagers and children
- Turn on light before taking medicine so you know how much you are taking
- Never share or sell your prescription drugs
- Only take prescription medicines that prescribed to you
- Never mix household products together
Supervise Your Children
Always supervise your children when around prescription drugs.
Monitor the use of medicine your child or teenager is taking.
Selling Prescription Drugs
Never distribute yours or anyone else's prescription drugs