The Sunnyside Scoop
School Newsletter -- May, 2018
Kids Junction: (651) 385 - 4587
First Student (General busing questions): (651) 388 - 8244
Transportation (Bus routing): (651) 385 - 4795
Happy Spring! It took awhile to arrive this year, but all of us at Sunnyside, students and staff alike, are thrilled that it finally did! This month's newsletter is chock full of end of the year items, so read carefully.
I just want to take a moment in this final Sunnyside Scoop of the school year to thank you all for an amazing first year as Principal here at Sunnyside. There is something truly awesome about this place. I'm blessed with a staff who works tirelessly and cares deeply, families who pitch in to help and support their young learners, and students who come to school excited to learn and grow. I couldn't ask for more than that, and I thank you all for the first of what I hope will be many wonderful years here at Sunnyside!
Dates to Remember...
7 -- 1st Grade Field Trips to Carpenter Nature Center (Friedrich & Rumpca)
7 -- Kindergarten Town Tour -- Marler, Prigge, Richardson
9 -- Kindergarten Town Tour -- A. Johnson, Marklevits, McDonnell, Prahl
10-11 -- Field Days (more information to come!)
11 -- Kindergarten Town Tour - Dressen, B. Johnson, Plonsky
14 -- 1st Grade Field Trips to Carpenter Nature Center (Grove & Welsch)
14 -- Kindergarten Walk to Hallstrom’s -- P. Dressen & Prahl
15 -- Kindergarten Walk to Hallstrom’s -- B. Johnson & McDonnell
16 -- 2nd Grade Dakota Education Day @ Prairie Island
16 -- Kindergarten Walk to Hallstrom’s -- Prigge & Richardson
17 -- Kindergarten Walk to Hallstrom’s -- Marklevits & Marler
17 -- Special Education Field Day @ RWHS
18 -- Kindergarten Walk to Hallstrom’s -- Plonsky & A. Johnson
21 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Farm - A. Johnson & Richardson
22 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Farm - Marklevits & Plonsky
23 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Farm - B. Johnson & Prigge
24 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Farm - Dressen & Marler
25 -- Kindergarten Field Trip to Farm - McDonnell & Prahl
25 -- TWO HOUR EARLY RELEASE (staff development)
28 -- NO SCHOOL (Memorial Day)
29 -- Kindergarten Hok-Si-La Field Trip -- Dressen, B. Johnson, Marler, Prahl, Richardson
30 -- Kindergarten Hok-Si-La Field Trip -- AJohnson, Marklevits, McDonnell, Plonsky,
31 -- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
31 -- All-School Picnic (Families Welcome!)
The picnic will take place on the back playground area, and there will be signs posted to help you find your child's classroom spot. In the case of inclement weather, we would unfortunately need to cancel the event, so fingers crossed!
Important End of the Year Information
- Report Cards -- Report cards will be mailed home to families by the end of the week following the end of the school year.
- Supply Lists -- A list of supplies needed for the 2018-2019 school year will be enclosed with report cards. Local retailers will also make lists available closer to the end of summer.
- Medications -- If you expect that your child will have medicine remaining at school, we ask that a parent pick them up at the Nurse’s Office on or before the last day of school. (We cannot send meds home with the student, and ask your cooperation in this matter.) Meds will be discarded if not picked up. This includes prescription and over-the- counter meds, as well as Epi-pens. If you expect your child to return to school on a prescribed medication in the fall, please remember to request a medication permission form signed by your doctor giving the school authorization to administer the medication. Also, an updated medical statement is required at the beginning of every school year regarding students with food allergies. Please have this signed medical statement along with updated emergency medications to your school nurse before school begins next fall.
- Lost & Found -- Please stop by Sunnyside and check out our lost and found table. We have lots of clothing items that will be donated after the last day of school!
Apex Fun Run Wrap-Up
On Thursday, April 26th, Sunnyside students participated in our Apex Fun Run event. For two weeks prior, students learned about important character traits through daily classroom lessons and worked to collect pledges. Then, on 4/26, students had a chance to run/walk laps. Apex provided music and encouragement, there was a fun tunnel to run through, and students had a blast! Best of all, the event will raise a good chunk of money (we haven't received confirmation, but it looks like we raised over $15,000!) to support Sunnyside's Innovative Learning Fund, which helps pay for field trips, assemblies, and other unique learning opportunities for students. Thank you, families, for all your support!!!
2018-2019 Incoming Kindergarten Registration
Kindergarten registration has moved to Sunnyside School! If you have an incoming kindergarten student for the 2018-2019 school year, please come to the Sunnyside office to register between the hours of 7:00 am - 3:30 pm. Please remember to bring the following:
- Copy of your child's birth certificate (must be an official certificate, not hospital issued)
- Immunization record, including 5-year shots (If not yet completed, can be turned in at a later date before school starts)