News from your TDS
Week of May 6th, 2013
What is a Unit of Study?
Have you heard? HSE may not be adopting a reading series for next year. You will be allowed to use any old adoption materials as reference materials if you choose. But without a text, how will we know what to teach and when???
K-4 committees are in the process of creating a year long progression chart for all ELA common core standards and Units of Study that will serve as your Yearlong plan and as your instruction guidance. Using the units of study will help smooth the transition to common core and will ensure that the standards are being covered.
Units of Study can be created for any subject. The district will be giving you both reading and writing, by grade level, for the 2013-2014 .
What will they include?
· A yearlong map to guide you on when to teach the units
· Primary Goals for the unit
· What students will know by the end of the unit
· Common Core standards listed per unit
· Vocabulary suggestions
· Language skills to embed in instruction
· Mentor Text suggestions
· Anchor Chart ideas
· Mini lesson teaching points for both reading and writing
· Possible suggestions for problem-based learning ideas
Does it sound overwhelming?
Don’t worry. You’ll receive some professional development to help you implement the Units of Study
Other Things of Interest...
My Calendar for the Week of May 6th
Week of May 6th
· Monday-BSE (all day)
· Tuesday-Durbin (all day), HSE 21 mtg at FHS from 4:15 till 6:15
· Wednesday-Kindergarten PD at CO (all day), Kindergarten Report Card Mtg 4:15-5:45
· Thursday-SCE (am), BSE (pm-till 5:00)
· Friday-SCE (am), TDS at FCE (pm)
Books to Explore
Who's In The Shed by Brenda Parks
This is a big book with rhyme, prediction opportunities, and patterns
Why don't you give it a try for your shared reading?