Sunshine Math Challenge
Accept the challenge!
Why Sunshine Math Challenge?
The idea of starting the Sunshine Math Challenge is to provide a platform for students to learn more and encourage them to learn new concepts, in a fun and recreational context.
The overall goal of Sunshine Math Challenge is to encourage a fun and entertaining environment to develop students' problem-solving skills and to improve analytical thinking.
How it works?
- Any student in Georgia in Grades 1-5 can join the challenge.
- Each problem is released weekly every Monday at 7:00 PM at http://mathchallenge.sunshinestem.org
- Students login to their account, solve problem(s), and enter the solution. The correct solution increases the score of the student.
- Speed and accuracy is very important. The system calculates the time spent to solve the problem after problem activation. Average time spent will be a crucial factor in determining the rank of the students to be entered into the Hall of Fame. For example: Question is activated on Monday at 7 PM. Student A solved the problem and entered the correct solution on the same day at 8:15PM. Student A gets 1 point and 75 min will be the time that’s included in the arithmetic average calculation. Student B solved the same problem on the same day and entered correct solution at 7:12 PM. Student B gets 1 point and 12 min time will be included in arithmetic average calculation. Student B's average time spent for the solution will be lower than Student A. So, Student B will be ranked higher than Student A in the Hall of Fame, even though they have the same point.
- Student gets 1 point and has 360 min (equivalent to 6 hours) if the question is solved after 6 hours of question release time. Students who haven’t solved the question from any week, still have the chance to continue in the challenge.
- The Hall of Fame is a live list—it is updated automatically by the correct solution entries from students and the time spent for the solution.
- Student can use his/her calculator or pen/pencil. Remember: Speed is the key.
- Being on the Hall of Fame list is not sufficient to win a prize. Student must solve all questions correctly in order to receive a prize.
Question release dates
Sunshine Math Challenge questions (one question per week) will be released on following dates:
- 2/1/2016 7:00:00 PM
- 2/8/2016 7:00:00 PM
- 2/15/2016 7:00:00 PM
- 2/22/2016 7:00:00 PM
- 2/29/2016 7:00:00 PM
- 3/7/2016 7:00:00 PM
- 3/14/2016 7:00:00 PM
I solved it by using a search engine, does that matter?
If you photocopy a crossword solution then what have you achieved?
The answer to that would be: Nothing!!
The goal of Sunshine Math Challenge is to encourage a fun and entertaining environment to develop students' problem-solving skills and to improve analytical thinking.
Parents should signup online (http://mathchallenge.sunshinestem.org) and let their students solve the Math problem when released every Monday at 7:00 PM. Student should then enter answers to the Sunshine Math Challenge web site.