Bringing families together, one newsletter at a time!
Monday, July 19, 2021
Quote of the Week
Information and Updates
Explorers on Course Elementary Academy --- Exiting News!
Explorers on Course Elementary Academy two important updates!
1) We will now be offering Kindergarten classes! Explorers on Course will now be serving students in grades K-5.
2) Many of you had asked to enroll in one subject only and we have worked to make this an option for our families. We will be offering the option of enrolling your child in just Language Arts or Math. There will be very limited spots for this option, and priority enrollment will be given to students who are enrolled in both subjects.
Please complete the ENROLLMENT FORM to enroll in the Explorers on Course Program. Please note that you do not need to complete the enrollment form again if you have already completed it.
We will be offering two opportunities for families to learn more about Explorers on Course:
1) Our Explorers on Course lead teacher will be at Cabrillo Point Academy's Park Day at Oso Viejo Community Park in Mission Viejo (24932 Veteran's Way, Mission Viejo) on July 21 from 10:00 am-11:00 am. She will have samples of the curriculum being used in Explorers on Course, and also be available to answer questions.
2) Explorers on Course Zoom Information session will be offered on Friday, July 23 @ 11:00 am. Zoom Link
A few key points about Explorers on Course Elementary Academy:
- Explorers teachers will offer live, virtual, direct instruction in the areas of Foundational Reading Skills (grade KN and 1), Literary Analysis and Writing (grades 2-5), and Mathematics (grades KN-5).
- Our credentialed Explorers on Course teachers will provide engaging, collaborative live lessons in each subject area for 40 minutes, 2 days per week.
- The cost is $200 for the school year
- Students in the program must purchase and follow the designated curriculum: Mathematics (Grades KN-5) Singapore Dimensions, Reading Foundations (Grades KN and 1) Lively Letters, and Literary Analysis and Writing (Grade 2-5) Blackbird and Company. Please place curriculum orders using your planning amounts in July.
- Explorers on Course teachers will provide a detailed lesson plan for parents to follow on alternate days which will be necessary for students to be successful in the classes.
- Teachers will also have scheduled office hours to support parents in implementing the designated curriculum
- Students will attend either the AM (9:00 am - 10:30 am) or PM (11:00 am - 12:30 pm) session on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Live instruction will begin on September 14.
We hope to serve and support your child in our new Elementary Academy!
For the July 21st Park Day, look for me on the benches near the playground. I'll be wearing my Cabrillo Point Academy t-shirt! I hope to see you there!
Summer Reading Challenge 2021 - Reading Colors Your World! June 12 – July 31
Celebrate 50 days of reading this summer! Sign up for your virtual log at ocpl.beanstack.org or download the free Beanstack app.
You can set up one account and add all the readers in your family!
Make reading a habit and log each day you spend some time reading. Log 20 or more days during the program and you’ll be entered into an opportunity drawing for a gift card courtesy of the Friends of the Libraries. Complete activities to gain virtual badges.
Enjoy our digital services or visit your local branch for curbside pickup or Grab & Go to check out and collect special summer giveaways.
Follow OC Public Libraries on Facebook and Instagram for crafts, cooking, and other fun projects to complete at home, and join us on Zoom for Virtual Events.
Find more information at ocpl.org
Fun Summer Activities!
Please note: Cabrillo Point Academy is not affiliated with any of these resources. Also remember that planning amounts may not be used for classes and activities during the summer break.
The Sawdust Art Festival is Open!
Check Out Wildlife Refuges
Participate in Community Park Activities
Stanton Movies Under the Stars!
Please be sure to read through our school’s Enrichment Guidelines from Homeschool Hub before entering order requests for your students. Please also make note of the following:
- Currently, only product orders are available in the Homeschool Hub.
- Vendors and service orders will be available August 2nd in the Homeschool Hub.
- New students will have their orders placed beginning 8/2/2021.
- Amazon orders will be available on July 15th, and Amazon Punchout orders will be available the week of July 19th.
Virtual Field Trips
Below, please find some links to Washington, DC coloring pages and activities:
Washington, DC Free Coloring pages.
More Washington, DC Coloring pages.
Free Printable Washington, DC Word Search activities.
Washington, DC Fun Facts for Kids information.
National Geographic Kids Washington, DC Unit Study.
National Night Out
Summer Homeschooling Advice
How to Create a Homeschool Schedule for Teens
As your homeschoolers reach the teen years, they start to exert more independence. They’ll have more activities outside of your home, including social events, extra-curricular activities, and co-op classes. Juggle these with more rigorous studies, and the need to adjust your homeschool routine is inevitable. That’s why you need to start creating a homeschool schedule for teens that can be flexible, yet check off all the boxes for their academic, emotional and social needs.
Following are all the tips you will need to create a manageable homeschooling schedule for your middle and high schoolers.
Plan in Advance
To start, you’ll want to have as much planning done as possible before the school year starts. Talk with your students about what their goals and expectations should be for the semester, and how they would like to accomplish those goals. From there, you should get a basic structural plan together of what the school year is going to look like.
Read the rest of the article here.
Charting the Course with Cabrillo Point Academy!
Orange County Science & Engineering Fair Free Summer Sessions
The Orange County Science and Engineering Fair (OCSEF) is hosting FREE , virtual summer workshops for students to get a head start on their science/engineering fair programs and projects. (For students who will be in grades 6th - 12th this Fall.)
Sat. Sept. 25, 2021,10-11am (Beginner)
Beginning this Fall students can sign up for one of the FREE OCSEF workshops - "How to Pick a Science/Engineering Project Topic."
Resources and Opportunities
The San Diego Zoo - Reservations No Longer Required!
To learn more and purchase tickets click here.
Camp Discovery at the Discovery Cube!
Discovery Cube is proud to bring you a range of virtual and in-person camps for summer 2021.
Participate in one of our interactive half-day Zoom camps through Camp Discovery at Home, where you can have fun learning about animals, dinosaurs, space, or all things STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math). Also, back by popular demand, our Code Constructors camp is a virtual full-week camp that will get you thinking like a programmer as you learn to code.
Or join us for a full-day of science fun at Discovery Cube Orange County as you get hands-on learning about animals, dinosaurs, space, or all things STEAM. To ensure camper and counselor safety, all on-site camps will have limited capacity. Classes are filling up quickly!
To register and pay for your student for either in-person or virtual camps, click here.
Mega Bubblefest and Laser Show at the Discovery Cube!
Orange County’s number one family-friendly event is back. Come see the amazing Mega Bubblefest Laser Show, a 40-minute production featuring world-famous bubble artists Deni Yang. The show combines music, lasers, and bubble artistry sure to make your kids laugh with delight and bring YOUR inner-child out! Who doesn’t LOVE bubbles?
Come to see the show but stay for the festival filled with tons of interactive experiences like the large bubble drum stations, bubble exhibits, science demonstrations, and so much more. Not to mention the award winning exhibits inside the science center!
Bubblefest is sure to be a highlight of your family’s summer break – don’t miss this annual sell-out event! **Please note: the Discovery Cube offers discounted rates for this event for groups of 15 or more!
To register and pay for your student/family, click here.
7 FAMILY-FRIENDLY ORANGE COUNTY TIDE POOLS
Volunteer Your Time
Volunteering teaches compassion and responsibility, and it also keeps kids busy on slow summer days. Little ones can clean up parks, collect canned goods, visit a nursing home, and more.
Virtual Field Trips
The History of Disneyland!
Please enjoy the free resources and videos below!
An animated Biography of the inspiring Walt Disney: Video
The History of Disneyland (1955-2018): Rides and Attractions: Video
Disneyland Resort: Imagineering the Magic: Video
Math Catch-Up Classes
Catch up on all things fractions!
If you missed the live classes please click on the links below to watch the videos. These classes are designed for students 5th grade and up.
WRITER'S WORKSHOP OFFICE HOURS VIDEOS
Did you miss some of the writer's workshop hours? We now have writer's workshop videos for parents and teachers to use wherever you would like! If you need advice as to where to begin, feel free to email our amazing writing teacher at email@example.com.
Access the recorded writing workshop videos HERE
Social Emotional Support
We also have the recordings from all the Mindset Monday classes we have had this school year...Summer would be a great opportunity to watch these recordings to learn about practical tools and activities on a variety of social/emotional topics like Emotional Agility, Growth Mindset, Mindfulness, Resilience, and much much more!
High School Counselor Support
2021 Engineering Showcase
The UCR Bourns College of Engineering and the UCR MESA Program invites all area kids, families and prospective students to an engaging and informative virtual event, our 2021 Engineering Showcase! Formerly the "Engineering Family Night," the event is an opportunity to inform you all about the college and the exciting things we do. It's a chance to learn about the engineering profession and what it takes to be an engineer. The event is free! Please see attached flyer for registration information or follow this link: https://2021bcoeshowcase.eventbrite.com
Returning library materials? Please keep in mind:
Parents should still have access to their old library system accounts. By logging into your account, you should be able to see which items are checked out to your child(ren).
If you are unable to access your old library account, please feel free to call the school and speak with a Library Specialist, who can check to see if any items are still checked out to your family.
There is no need to separate enrichment and library materials when returning them to the library.
There is no need to add library materials to students’ inventory sheets when returning them to the library. Each library item has an asset tag on it, which our librarians will use to check it in.
Thank you very much for your help with getting those items returned!
Returning enrichment materials? Please follow the instructions detailed below by clicking on the graphic. Thank you for your help!
I Can Statements
Community and Connection
Please note: There are three questions that need to be answered in order to join. The group is for currently enrolled families only.