Self harm: it's not a joke
Common addiction, mostly in the youth and adolescents in this day and age.
The semicolon: sign of strength?
Symptoms and signs
- Scars from cuts or burns
- Claiming to have frequent accidents
- Fresh cuts, scratches, or bruises
- Broken bones
- Keeping sharp objects on hand
- Spending a great deal of time alone
- Wearing long sleeves and pants even in hot weather
- Difficulties with interpersonal relationships
- Emotional instability
- Impulsiveness and unpredictability
- Depressed mood
- Frequent thoughts of helplessness, hopelessness, or worthlessness
Myths: true or false?
Do people self harm for attention?
The short answer is no. But, some people, who have an addiction to attention, will do it just for people to notice or pay attention to them. Real self harm victims do not want attention and mot will avoid it.
Why do people self harm?
The reason for self harm is mostly a personal reason, but some common reasons are from mental illness, like depression, anxiety, anorexia, etc, or to inflict pain on somewhere other than their brain, as a distraction.
Are all people who self harm suicidal?
No. Although it is common for self harm victims to be suicidal, it is not always the case. Some people who self harm don't actually want to commit suicide, possibly because they don't want to give up.