CLX Buzz 11/14/19
The Claxton Elementary Family Newsletter
What's the Buzz?
- Coming Soon at Claxton...
- Thanks-for-Reading Event Info & Volunteer Needs
- Alice in Wonderland, Jr. Musical Info (Online Ticket Sales End Today 11/14!)
- Call for Proposals for Spring 2020 After School Arts (ASA)
- Updated Final Class Dates for Fall After School Arts
- November PTO Meeting Minutes and Budget Overview
- Volunteering at Claxton
- CLX on Social Media
- Quick Links
Coming Soon at Claxton...
Thursday Flyers (Check your Claxton folders!)
Alice in Wonderland, Jr Performances - Fri, 11/15; Sat, 11/16; Sun, 11/17
Thanks-for-Reading Lunch and Book Fair - Wed, Nov 20
NO SCHOOL - Wed, Nov 27 - Fri, Nov 29
PTO Meeting - Tues, Dec 3 from 6-7pm in Media Center
Winter Dance (for 3rd-5th grades) - Thurs, Dec 5 from 3-4pm
Claxton Storytelling Festival - Fri, Dec 6 (during school day)
Holiday Meal Day - Wed, Dec 18
Winter Break (NO SCHOOL) - Mon, Dec 23 - Fri, Jan 3
First School Day of 2020 - Mon, Jan 6
Claxton's Annual Thanks-for-Reading Event
Volunteers Needed for Thanks-for-Reading Event!
Claxton's annual Thanks-for-Reading Event for students and families will be Wed, Nov 20. This is a great time at Claxton, celebrating our community and our students' learning! We’ll also have a one-day book fair in the Media Center! We need volunteers for hour-long slots to help at the welcome table and book fair. If you’re able to share an hour on either side of lunch with your student(s), please SIGN UP HERE! Thank you for considering!
Alice in Wonderland, Jr. Takes the Stage This Weekend!
Online Ticket Sales for Alice in Wonderland, Jr.!
Purchase your tickets in advance through this link for Claxton's Alice in Wonderland, Jr. Musical! Online ticket sales will close at the end of the day on Thursday 11/14. If you purchase online you will come to WILL CALL table in lobby to check in before the show.
Tickets are $5 per Adult, $2 per Child (2-17 yr; Under 2 and sitting in lap are Free). The money for this year’s ticket sales goes towards next year’s show (scripts, royalties, props, etc).
If you need to purchase tickets after online sales closes- you will need to go to the CASH SALES line in the lobby, before the show.
On the night of the show:
The left side of the line will be WILL CALL: online pre-sale tickets and comp tickets for actors and set crew only. This will be a checklist- no physical tickets to hold.
The right side of the line will be CASH SALES only- day of show purchases of tickets only. (You will not be able to buy and do "will call" in the same line.)
Call for Proposals for Spring 2020 After School Arts (ASA) Program
The Call for Proposals for our Spring 2020 After School Arts (ASA) Program is now open! Please share this invitation to share new class ideas with friends, family, and community!
[For Spring 2020 ASA, class catalogs will be available in mid-January. Registration will open on Sun, 1/26 at 8:00pm and close on Sun, 2/2 at 8:00pm. Classes will begin the week of Feb 10-13.]
Please contact Miriam Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like to discuss any ideas about the program.
Updated Final Class Dates for Fall ASA Classes
LEGO Explorations ends on 12/2
Poetry ends on 12/9
FEAST and Board Games end on 11/19
Yoga Games (no class on 11/26) ends 12/17
Math Attack has class on 11/13 and will have its final class on Fri, 11/15 (***special date for Noetic contest)
Prop & Set Design ends on 11/20
Prop & Set Design and Birds end on 11/21
Mindstorm Robotics ends on 12/5
Spanish ends on 12/12
Chaperoning and Other Volunteering at Claxton
1) Whether you're a new or returning Claxton volunteer, an online background check is needed each year to volunteer in any capacity with students at school or as a supervising chaperone on field trips. It takes about 5 minutes to start your background check but can sometimes take 2-3 weeks for checks to be approved. You cannot volunteer until your background check has been approved, so jump over to this link to get yours started. https://bib.com/SecureVolunteer/Asheville-City-Schools/
2) Also, all volunteers need to attend a brief (~30min) Level II volunteer training with Asheville City Schools before you can volunteer at Claxton. The training is a one-time requirement (not needed each year) and this year's schedule is set so you can go ahead and check the calendar. Please see below for the next training sessions or check this year's full calendar HERE. Trainings take place in the Boardroom at Asheville City Schools' Central Office at 85 Mountain Street unless otherwise noted. No registration is required to attend the training.
Wednesday, December 11, 2019, at 12:00 PM
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or are interested in exploring volunteer opportunities at Claxton!